Sign in to follow this  

hard to start rm 250 07 model

my friend just recently got the bike and when we go on rides it starts when cold gives it some revs then turns of after a minute to gear up the try to kick over and it takes agers should he go for a hotter spark plug rating after about half hour of ridin it starts first kick. any suggestions.

try two slow kicks with the throttle half open then one hard kick my 07 starts first kick every time.

I alson run mine on 40;1 mixture try that.

my friend just recently got the bike and when we go on rides it starts when cold gives it some revs then turns of after a minute to gear up the try to kick over and it takes agers should he go for a hotter spark plug rating after about half hour of ridin it starts first kick. any suggestions.

Could you re-type that I can't understand it.

My 04.....

cold I lean it over until gas comes out the vent tube (flodding it) and it starts 1st or second kick.

My bike does like to be in neutral to start all the time....but that is clutch related I am sure.

Assuming your bike is properly jetting, just turn on the gas petcock and wait about 5 minutes. This is a good time to put on your boots, knee guards, shirt, kidney belt and riding pants. Now pull out the choke and using NO THROTTLE, kick the bike over w/ healthy kicks. It should fire in 1-4 kicks. Let it idle w/ the choke on for about 15-20 seconds then turn the choke off. Put on your chest protector and helmet then go back to the bike and blip the throtle until she's crisp and clear. Put on your gloves and googles and ride off for some good fun! :thumbsup:

Try with the kick lever and tank up to the vertical part then over. If that does not skip spankey level it on the back and try again. Over.

Kevin

He's Australian,your lucky he used a full stop at the and!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My bike did this, but it was a little different. It wouldn't hardly start when cold. I would kick 50 times and then finally, it would start. When warm, it started first kick. What I found out was that for some reason, it wasn't getting enough fuel when cold. I found this out by dribbling gas directly into the cylinder. It would then fire first kick. It turns out my float valve was screwy so I just replaced that and then was fine.

The worst thing you can do on a 2-stroke is to start it cold, blip the throttle couple times, then turn it off after a minute. The plug will be all wet from the extra gas needed for cold/choke starts.

NYMXer had it pretty close, but what I do is put ALL my gear on first, start it like he says, turn off the choke like he says, and then sit on the bike and gently keep the RPM's up and blip the throttle lightly to get the engine warmed up for a couple minutes (good time to do arm and back stretches while you're sitting on the bike), then put it in gear and ride. I do that religiously and have never fouled a plug. My riding partner starts his KX250 the minute we get it out of the truck (he's wearing shorts and tennis shoes at this time), lets it run for a couple minutes, turns it off, puts on all his gear, starts his bike, gets about 25 feet away and the plug fouls. He constantly carries 4 extra spark plugs, and he changes one every time we ride (and his jetting has been changed to optimum so that's not the issue). I've never carried an extra plug for my '04RM250.