Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha response

Has anyone out there had any response from yamaha on the dreaded clutch dragging problem.My 06 wr250 was running fine until the weekend when it was suddenly impossible to find neutral,hard to change gears and would creep in first on idle with clutch pulled or just stall as soon as you put it in first.Anyway I have taken it back to the dealers and they have never heard of such problems and are going to pull the clutch apart anyway.Does anyone know if yamaha is addressing this problem or are they sweeping it under the mat.Race bike my A#@ you couldnt race a bike that acts like mine!

I have had an 01,04 and now a 06 WR250F and have experenced the creep only when I have had to use Yamaha 4R oil. My oil of choice is Spectro 20-50 and when I use it dont have the creep.

Don

I have that exact clutch dragging on my 05 which I just bought in June and now have 300 miles on it. Yamaha does acknowledge such a problem does exist at times, and is willing to replace whatever my dealer finds wrong with the bike.

For the near term, Yamaha suggests that the clutch be disassembled and the fiber plates soaked in oil. This soaking does help a whole bunch for a short while, but my WR still has massive clutch drag compared to the four YZ250F I have owned over the years. My YZFs can be shifting into neutral with ease even on cold oil.

Over the years, I did find that when the oil became old, the shifting sometimes would become difficult. A fresh oil change would clear things right up.

Anyways, back to the WR... I think I have a set of warped metal plates. My next step is a complete set of new metal clutch plates. I thought I had a whole set of them, but I'm short two plates so I have to wait until I get those two from the dealer. If you order plates, pay close attention to the part numbers- The one against the engine is different than the other 7 (slightly thicker).

According to the microfiche, the WR has the exact same clutch plates and actuators as the YZF. The WR has lighter rate clutch springs.

Check out one of my other posts which links to yet another thread, in which a guy named Obermeyer explains what he believes is the problem.

Hope all this helps.

just change your oil i had the same problem then did a oil change and it's fine now

....I have taken it back to the dealers and they have never heard of such problems.....
Somehow, this doesn't surprise me. The dealers will deny having heard of any problems until you bring them the service bulletin.

If the crf 250 clutch plates still work in the yamaha 250f then that will fix your problem. It fixed my 03 and thats what rekluse recommends. Give them a call, they might be able to tell you if you can use the crf plates in your 06.

I'm using the yamalube 4r oil that I bought when I picked up the bike from the dealers.The bike only has 300klms on it and I've done a couple of oil changes.Maybe I should try a different oil before pulling anything apart?

Try using Shell Rotella T oil. Available at WalMart for about $5/ gal. :thumbsup:

I'm using the yamalube 4r oil that I bought when I picked up the bike from the dealers.The bike only has 300klms on it and I've done a couple of oil changes.Maybe I should try a different oil before pulling anything apart?

Yes. Try changing the oil, using different oil, etc. Don't have one of these bikes but bought a new TTR125LE, CRF230f, and TE250 in the last year - they ALL had the problem you describe to some extent. After a short time and a few oil changes no problem. Not sure but.... Dino oil may cause it more than semi-synthetic.

Update after soaking the plates in oil... The bike now has significantly less drag. It is now possible to find neutral while the bike is not moving and the engine running. While this is a welcome improvement, the bike's clutch & shifting is still a long ways from the full 5 star rating.

I would not blame mineral oil for the clutch drag. Over the years, I have had zero clutch drag problems while running plain old Citgo 10w40 oil. (no "cheap" oil flames plz, save the oil bashing for one of the other eighteen dozen oil threads within this forum)

Here's something to think about- When I disassembled the clutch plates, they seemed to really stick together as if there was some sort of tacky grease holding them together. Once this coating is on the plates and holds the plates together, the new fresh oil is going to have a tough time getting in there to dissolve the tacky substance. Soaking the plates in oil gives the fresh oil's detergents a chance to flush off some of the tacky stuff.

Hi fellas,

From what's described here, I think you can get away with a cheap fix.

On my '01 250 F, I had a time where the clutch was getting really cranky - grabby, squawking when letting out, find neutral??? It was bad.

A trick from the old days was to give the fibers a "gentle" sanding.

Not trying to machine them down any, but merely take the glaze off of the faces of the friction surface.

I was skeptical about this as I'm sure you are now reading this, but as testimony that it worked for me, I still have the new set of fibers I had bought in the event the sanding didn't work - that was back in 2002 or so.

Did the job on 600 wet / dry paper, lubed up with WD40 & some solvent. Gently doing a figure 8, turn 1/3 of a turn, repeat... Other side... Next plate...

Generously oiled upon reassembly and it worked like new.

I also add the extra oil holes to the inner hub - a search should still have that info. on how & where to do that.

When I was prepping my '06 last winter, I was pleased to find that they now have these extra oil hole from the factory, but it is something I've done to all my bikes.

For oil, I always use Pensoil 20/50, changing it every 4 hours or whenever the shifting starts to get a bit grumpy.

For riding, I'm strictly Moto & can be a bit more on the clutch than most.

The other thing I use is a Hinson outer basket. This is one of the better things I have purchased - it's on it's 3rd year of use and not any sign of wear. I swap it from old bike to the new one when upgrading. It's a keeper for sure! I hoop out a stocker in one season.

Get wrenching & then go have fun!