Sign in to follow this  

Another plate ?

If I buy a " for offroad use only" bike from a seller that had it plated. Will I be at jepardy of loosing that plate when I register the bike here in Washington?

If I buy a "for offroad use only" bike from a seller that had it plated. Will I be at jepardy of loosing that plate when I register the bike here in Washington?

If this is on the registration: "for offroad use only", then yes.

my answer is no.

however, as noted above, the title should be clear of the "for offroad use only" text if it has been plated.

for example, the manufacture's certificate on my husky stated "for offroad use only". I titled and plated it in Oregon. I can't remember what the Oregon title stated (I don't think it said anything about "offroad only", but I had no issue transfering the plate and title to WA and the new title did not state "offroad only".

my answer is no.

however, as noted above, the title should be clear of the "for offroad use only" text if it has been plated.

for example, the manufacture's certificate on my husky stated "for offroad use only". I titled and plated it in Oregon. I can't remember what the Oregon title stated (I don't think it said anything about "offroad only", but I had no issue transfering the plate and title to WA and the new title did not state "offroad only".

The advantage of the Oregon title is it doesnt say "off road" etc. BUT, make sure you put in some miles on the back of the title, we all know street bikes have odometers. Make it a number you will remember, so if you sell it, next guy must fudge miles, but it has to be higher than it was when you fudged it or red flags pop up. Russ, it should be seamless. If it shows up via the VIN as off road, they will ask you if its road legal., You say yes. Then that should do it. Do let us know what happens in the end. Laws change and I'm getting a bit rusty on it. I have done it twice now, both were Yamaha WR's, ie a 426 and my current 450

I am going to the dealer in Salem tomorrow who has been trying to sell it and take it to the dealer in Astoria to get a Oregon plate and then it takes about 4 weeks to get the oregon title and registration then the Astoria dealer is going to give me a bill of sale so I can register it in WA. I will keep you posted. Russ

I am going to the dealer in Salem tomorrow who has been trying to sell it and take it to the dealer in Astoria to get a Oregon plate and then it takes about 4 weeks to get the oregon title and registration then the Astoria dealer is going to give me a bill of sale so I can register it in WA. I will keep you posted. Russ
Russ, you only need to get an Oregon title. No need to mess with the plate. Then bring the title over to WA, change it and that should do it. If for some reason, they wont plate it (and they will, but lets just pretend...) tell then, dont transfer the title, you tell them you told the seller you dont want to buy it if it cant be transfered. Then walk out and get your Oregon plate and go riding, in OR or WA. But it should be a snap. Just remember what I said about the "miles" on the back of the title. I assume the OR titles are the same as they were a few years ago. I did this for my old WR426F. Bought it out of Oregon, and plated it when I transfer it to WA.

MTD is right, I missed the miles part and had to fill out an affadavit, write a letter, and get another sign off by the seller.

But I have a WA plated KTM 200 EXC bought used if you can believe that one.

MTD is right, I missed the miles part and had to fill out an affadavit, write a letter, and get another sign off by the seller.

But I have a WA plated KTM 200 EXC bought used if you can believe that one.

Heck, I have a 2004 Yamaha WR450F I bought new and its plated. And I'm a Washington resident and it has a WA title and WA plate! Pretty slick, huh?

:ride::thumbsup:

I like Russ's idea of having plated in Oregon. It just seems to me that if he walks in the door with the Oregon plate and title in hand that the transaction will have less questions here in Washington.

Just an opinion since I have never tried it myself.

I've also heard rumors about Washington state sending out letters revoking some dirt bike plates but I don't remember the details.

...I've also heard rumors about Washington state sending out letters revoking some dirt bike plates but I don't remember the details.
OMT, I have second hand expereicne on that one. I buddy with a 1999 Kawasaki KDX220 has a WA plate. He bought it that way and has been that way for a while. Then, just out of the blue, he gets a letter from the DOL, requireing him to bring it in for a WSP inspection. (I suspect the offificals are checking VINS and flagging all off road bikes) I suppose if it was all legal, they would of had to sign off, but I suppose it would have to be 100% legal, ie DOT approved lamps, UL approved switched, etc. He never responded, just sold it. And the WSP just "purged" all his info from the database, so the next owner would either have to go off road only or get a WSP inspection. Basically, start all over and getting it plated would be out. So if you get one of these letters, better get the dual sport kit coming and installed for th einspection or you will los eyour plate. He did neither (buyer) He just buys ORV tabs for a bike frame he has ands uses it. So the VIN isnt even on the WA resiter at all.

:thumbsup: