Sign in to follow this  

Injuries

I know this topic is something everyone rather not talk about, however I have a question about it. How often, do you guys actually get hurt? This was my first year out, and so far, say riding 20 times or so, I have tweaked my wrist, fractued my ankle. Is this normal persay, for a first year out? Or am I just a wrecking ball accident waiting to happen?

If it`s your first year then i assume you are still in the learning process.

I am learning too. But i have a 15 year background of xc MTB and a little shorter one of downhill mTB.

That helped me with staying loose when crashing and how to tuck^n^roll.

I have had several offroad accidents at very high speeds. Luckily for me i have not been injured. I wear full protection gear but i believe that my "how to break a fall" technique has helped out a little.

On the other hand i have taken my worst spills the few times I have been at the local SX track. I feel each jump i take holds a risk of going bad and getting injured.

I only allow myself 2 days a week the most at the track. I work out at the gym or trail ride the rest of the week. And when i`m hurt i definitely stay away from the track until i get better.

BTW I'm kinda old so I'm full of aches, and my bones dont heal as fast anymore.

It took 30 years of riding and racing MX til I broke my first bone. You just never know.

It really depends on "how" you ride. If you are riding way over your head and jumping things you really shouldn't because you don't have the bike control then yeah you will break a lot of bones. But if you progress at a slower and safer rate then you probably will not get hurt as often. But then again you NEVER know what is going to happen when you go to the track.

after a six year break from mx i've come back this year and havent gotten hurt yet... but i've only fallen a couple times when the front end washed out. i'm sure i have a nasty spill in the near future, although even when i raced before i only broke my arm once in my 3 years of racing. the skill of falling is a very overlooked one.

it sounds like u might be trying to go a little too hard for your skill level. its not all about pushing as hard as u can, guessing, and hoping u dont crash. of course you could have just had bad luck or the injury bug. if u want to last and not get burnt out from injuries u could buy like gary semics videos on ebay for real cheap or get lessons locally.

After neumerous broken bones you still get back on your bike and it's all learning in the early years. I've been riding for aound 8 now and have not had a broken bone/crash in ages.

knock, knock. lol

to the original poster- i just reread your post and for some reason i thought u had a much longer list. 2 things in a whole year isnt bad. but still those gary semic videos are super cheap on ebay and u will have more fun riding once u can do all that stuff.

ive been racing for 2 years now..and my first year i didnt get hurt much at all..but ive stepped it up alot this year and have gotten much faster..but i also ride very aggressive now which does cause me to slip up sometimes..this year so far i have blown out my right knee (ruptured ACL and torn lateral miniscus) took 1 month off..even though i shoulda taken alot more..then i just broke my wrist 3 weeks ago..cut my cast off this past tuesday night..and raced last night..took 6th overall..not bad for a broken wrist(hurt like hell though!!!) and ive been run over a couple of times form first turn wrecks..it happens though..as you pick up the pace..crashing is gonna hurt more and take a bigger toll on injuries..but ill never quit racing because of injury..i love proving the doctors wrong :-D