Sign in to follow this  

XR80 Can I get more throttle response?

My son is getting better and wants to whip some turns. I cant afford a new bike for him yet so is there any way I can get more power out of his 2003 XR80? I have added a BBR pipe already which made a big difference from stock but it needs more.

(Ride um until the wheels fall off!)

Opening up the airbox helps on the intake, like the pipe did on the exhaust. An XR100 carb makes for a nice boost. Beyond that, you have to look inside the engine. But, do the stuff on the outside of the engine first.

I have an XR100 carb, PM me if you are interested.

A wiseco piston with slightly higher compression should make for some gain on the low end and the piston is lighter than stock helping the throttle responce.

A rev box like the one from BBR (Usually on Ebay for $50 or so) Should change the ignition curve and rev limiter (The XR80 is tamed down for beginners). This with the Air Box / Jeting and Pipe should help bring the XR80 to life. For a littel more response you could have a machine shop shave a little weight off the flywheel. This will assist it in reving quicker and adding some SNAP. AND all for a mimimum cost...

Is the bike jetted correctly? Jetting a bike correctly requires a good bit of trial and error. Jet it until too rich and then back off a step. The Jetting kits and Pipe MFG recomendations are a general good place to start. Getting it spot on will wake the bike up. Needle for 1/4 throttle - 3/4 throttle, Main jet for top end.

Shave the flywheel. The rev box is the same one on the 100, which has no limiter. I've tried back to back to after market ones and felt no difference. I haven't dynoed them back to back, but on the track I felt no difference. Mainly, the xr80 is slow . . . really slow. If you throw a bunch of money at it, it will still be fairly slow. It's worth, selling the motor and getting a 100 motor and build that. You should be able to do that with minimal dollar loss. I saw a clean xr100 motor go for $355 on ebay and usually a clean xr80 motor will go for around $250-300. You'll need a xr100 manifold and airboot, which can be had on ebay pretty cheap.