Sign in to follow this  

Beginner Ride in North or Central Utah?

Can anyone recommend a good beginner trail ride in North or Central Utah that would be in a higher (cooler) elevation? My son has been riding about a year but is not ready for major rocks.

I was thinking about:

Skyline Drive

Strawberry Res. Area

Murdock Basin

American Fork

Any suggestions?

Try the Arapeen Trail system on the Manti-La Sal NF. Mostly ATV trails. Search for it on the internet and you should find some maps. Access is from the Ephraim area Or on the otherside from Castledale /Ferron.

Little hot at cherry creek right now. I'd say soapstone, just south of the mirror lake highway. There's a 15 mile-ish loop of rough 4 wheel drive roads. Lots more riding here than this, but it's my family's favorite. Just enough rocks and mild hills to make it interesting for a novice rider. There's also 1 creek crossing. My 8 to 12 year olds love it.

I've heard of the Cherry Creek area...but where is it, does anyone have more detailed directions?

It is directly north of the Little Sahara Sand Dunes. Basically just go as if you are going to the sand dunes, but rather than turning left to the Ranger Station/Pay Gate, continue straight west for another 2-3 miles and the road turns to dirt. Once on dirt, you can immediately pull off and begin riding, or continue west for another 10 miles or more and do the same.

As far as the original question....if you're close to Central Utah...the Arapeen or Paiute Trail systems as described would be good mellow options as they are not singletrack.

I agree with the comments about Soapstone. A great mountain setting for family riding. No real aggressive fast or technical riding, but plenty of old jeep roads to explore. Our family goes there once or twice each summer, and there are still plenty of trails we haven't tried yet. The loop mentioned also has a spur out to a cool overlook above the Duschene Gorge. It is a little steeper in spots, but the steepest spot has a bypass. There is another trail (#661 I think) that rides through some meadows and overlooks the Wolf Creek area. It is one of my wife's favorite rides.

Murdock Basin is really rocky, in my opinion. American Fork Canyon is not for beginners. Very rocky and technical.

From what I have seen on the Internet of the Arapeen ATV trails, they look mostly pretty easy and fun. I am taking my two oldest boys there next weekend. We hope to scope out many of the trails for future family rides.

The Strawberry Ridge area has some fun sections, but it can get pretty dusty late in the summer - it gets a lot of use. There are also trails north of Strawberry that avoid the main crowds.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up going down to the Arapeen trail. The trail system is extensive so we did'nt even scratch the surface of all the trails that are there. We rode along Skyline Drive for several miles and then looped back through on several valley trails. It was the perfect family ride. I hope to go back and explore more of the area over labor day.

The only down side was there were lots of deer hunters on ATVs for the opening of the bow hunt.

I just got back from a trip up Logan canyon. 6 kids --- experience levels from just starting to 4 years on a bike. Base camp was just below Beaver Ski Resort about 3 miles down the dirt road. We put in about 50 miles (at 10-15 mph with lots of breaks) over 3 days. There are some great "rough" dirt roads to explore with beginners. A few hills, some rocks (not too many), and great scenery. You can ride from Beaver Mountain all the way up into Idaho and pop out in St Charles or pretty much any of the towns near north Bear Lake. Great time had by all. I'd recommend this ride as a great beginner's area.

PM me your email address. I'll shoot you a map of the area. Pretty easy to find. Just head up Logan canyon, past Tony Grove, and turn off at the Beaver Mountain Ski Resort. Just as you come off the highway there are two parking lots and then a dirt road heading to the right. Take it... and camp where ever you like and go ride.