Sign in to follow this  

Patella Tendon Surgery

I had surgery on my knee about a week ago. The Patella Tendon was completly shredded. My knee cap was sitting up in my lower hamstring. Just curious to hear if anyone else has had the same injury and what sort of recovery time i'm looking at.

Are they letting you move it or are you in a cast or immobilizer?

Hi Dr Mark. Its in a brace at the moment. The Doc has said two weeks at 45deg movement passively. I've started with physio but there is not much they are doing at the moment. I've also started with hyperbaric treatments once a week to try and expediate things. Don't know if it makes a difference, but if there's a possibility I willing to try it. I have my first follow up appointment today. Hopefully I will know a little more after it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just a note about knee braces. I've read your comments and views regarding braces. At the time I was wearing Don Joy braces. The getoff was from quite a height on a stepdown. I landed on my right leg and the Tendon obviously couldn't take the strain. Do you think its possible the kneebraces actually caused some of the tension on the Patella tendon? My other thought is that I didn't damage any of the ligaments etc.

I couldn't indite the knee brace.

The PT repairs that I have done have all moved from 0-110 degrees immediately after the repair. If it is kept still, you are likely to have a bear of a time getting motion in your knee back.

I have just got back from the doc's and he has set the brace @ 45deg's for two weeks. I am a little worried about what you are saying as it sounds like the doc and physio are been quite conservative. There was a ACL repair done on a guy at the same time as my surgery. I saw him today and he is bending his knee to 90deg's. I would have thought the treatment of an ACL repair would be more conservative.

Thanks again for your input Dr Mark. Its great to hear from docs that understand motocross.