Sign in to follow this  

06 Head - Improved Seat Material... or Not?

This quote is from the dirtrider.net thread linked below. I mentioned the 06 head was supposed to have improved valve seat material. Another member asked if the 06 head was worth the money and Rich (who I believe does most of the 4-stroke work for Eric Gorr) replied with this:

There is no field evidence that the wear rates on the 2006 heads are any different than the previous years, 450 & 250s included. What you might find is the exhaust valve guides are a bit softer in the new heads and wear the bottom third portion (nearest the seat) a lot faster than the earlier models.

There is nothing wrong with the 2006 head, just don't expect some huge change in OEM valve life as a result of switching.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=138937

Faster wear from the exhaust valve guides? This is the first I have heard of this... :thumbsup: I haven't purchased an 06 head yet, but planned to and then send it in to RHC.

The press releases say "new intake valve seat material" for '06. Ramsey inspected some '06 250R heads and couldn't tell visually that the seats were different than previous seats; different hardness maybe :thumbsup: ? I have no idea about the guides.

This quote is from the dirtrider.net thread linked below. I mentioned the 06 head was supposed to have improved valve seat material. Another member asked if the 06 head was worth the money and Rich (who I believe does most of the 4-stroke work for Eric Gorr) replied with this:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=138937

Faster wear from the exhaust valve guides? This is the first I have heard of this... :thumbsup: I haven't purchased an 06 head yet, but planned to and then send it in to RHC.

out of all of these 02,3,4,5 and 6 --250 and 450 heads i have looked at and done for people i also have not been able to tell any difference in seat material,

they seem to cut the same they Rockwell out the same they are the same press interference fit and seem to still have valve wear when the guides are loose and or the springs go away.

i also change alot of guides and i have always not liked the loose fitting honda guides ( even from brand new ---some are way loose :ride: )

but i have not noticed any difference in guide wear from the 02 to the 06,

the guides also seem to be the same material and also run about the same hardness- :applause:

so i just do not really think there is any measurable difference ,

but i do know that with nice tight CV4 valve guides you will have way better luck keeping your valves alive in your head -- :applause:

Good info to read before plunking down the $220 for a new head/guides that I may not need. :thumbsup:

Where can I find more info/pricing on the CV4 valve guides? Didn't find anything on what I assume is their website below:

http://www.cv4.net/4moto/products/main.aspx

Go into the Engine section and then click on "Xceldyne". There's not much but it's there.

Good info to read before plunking down the $220 for a new head/guides that I may not need. :thumbsup:

Where can I find more info/pricing on the CV4 valve guides? Didn't find anything on what I assume is their website below:

http://www.cv4.net/4moto/products/main.aspx

well i can not work the net very well at all and their sight is getting a makeover-----but if you just give Shane or Josh a call at 1-800-448-1223 and talk to them about all the cool stuff they have for head's you would be amazed ,

these old boys are back in the heart land of the racing world and cater to some real hard demanding customers and they have different seats, guides ,and more ,

and can make anything you would want for you to repair your head !! :ride: