Sign in to follow this  

Harley dirt bikes

Hey guys,,, i remebered from my childhood a neighbor with a HD dirt bike. I searched today and found the same model on E-Bay.

I was too young to at the time to absord anything about the bike. Do any of you guys know if it was a single or twin, 2 or 4 stroke and did anyone out there ride this bike? If so what did you think?

The addy below will take you to the site, just paste it to explorer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-250-SX-DIRT-BIKE_W0QQitemZ180015230128QQcmdZViewItem

Hey guys,,, i remebered from my childhood a neighbor with a HD dirt bike. I searched today and found the same model on E-Bay.

I was too young to at the time to absord anything about the bike. Do any of you guys know if it was a single or twin, 2 or 4 stroke and did anyone out there ride this bike? If so what did you think?

The addy below will take you to the site, just paste it to explorer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-250-SX-DIRT-BIKE_W0QQitemZ180015230128QQcmdZViewItem

I had the 1976 street version and it was a good bike and sharp looking at the time.They are 2 stroke 250's,single cyl. motors.They made 350cc models as well for street and on/off road.They were made by Benelli I beleive and marketed by AMF through their Harley dealerships nationwide at the time.

That's a single cylinder two stroke...Hardley Albeson put their names on them...I remember those bikes from the early 70's...They were actually made by an Italian company as I recall...

I used to hangout at the local Harley shop when I was a kid...They stocked the keys for my centrifical clutch for my Briggs&Stratten mini bike..

There was always a puddle of oil sitting under the new AMF Harleys in the showroom as I recall...

Not sure about the year exactly...about 1978...250 National Championship WON. That was it for the big show, the next year they did not update so did not win.

Never saw one in person...

Supposed to be a honkin screamer of a 2 STROKE.

The above link to the ebay listing is not at all the bike I'm talking about.

Your talking about their MX bike...The ones with the hyrdraulic FORKs for rear suspension...I remember that one from high school..."Looked" cool...Not too many racing at the local track...Yamaha had just come out with the MONOSHOCK...I had a 78 YZ 125 which I raced...Cost me the fortune some of $1168...The other guys were racing CRs with FOX Airshocks...There was one or two guys with the KXs...And of course the RMs were in their heyday back then...

Not sure about the year exactly...about 1978...250 National Championship WON. That was it for the big show, the next year they did not update so did not win.

Never saw one in person...

Supposed to be a honkin screamer of a 2 STROKE.

just think Harley would be hard pressed if it still wanted to make a dirt bike and keep the tradition of still using the same basic technology for 40+ years or so like their V twins (sans the V Rod), maybe they could have asked one the the chinese clone manufactures to copy that Aermacchi design for them...

I have a real nice example of the Harley 125 that was stored away in decent condition. I'll see if I can get some pics of it to post...it probably needs a good home to give it lots of TLC... I travel too much and it just sits... :thumbsup: Andrew

I have a real nice example of the Harley 125 that was stored away in decent condition. I'll see if I can get some pics of it to post...it probably needs a good home to give it lots of TLC... I travel too much and it just sits... :thumbsup: Andrew

there is a users group on yahoo for these bikes also, if anyone if interested.....

search Aermacchi in the groups section...

National Championship ??? :thumbsup: ....PLEASE !!

If anyone buys the Harley AMF thumper, just get a few rebuild kits with it too.... :ride:

The AMF V-Twins were hit or miss, I have a buddy with a 74 Sportster, his bike is OK but still a right hand shift.... :thumbsup:

we had 2 of these bikes.

sxt 125 and sxt 175

These were the worst lemons we ever owned. The year was 1978.

Broke either a throttle, clutch and speedo cable every week. Sold the 125 shortly after getting it and bought the 175. The engine seized around 2000 miles.

Harley also sold a mx bike in 1978, it was orange and was a 250.

I bet these bikes are worth some money now.

ok, i just read all the posts. I rode the mate to that orange bike.

you guys are getting into sold old stuff now

Harley had several dirt bikes built by Aeromachi in Italy and sold under the Harley Davidson name. My first one was a 71 Harley Baja 100. In the early 70's it was the bike to ride in the California desert trailbike class. Ask Mitch Mays, Terry Clark, Larry Roesler, and Bruce Ogolvie (excuse my spelling). At one point 8 of the top 10 District 37 trailbike numbers where on Harley Davidson's. Then in 1975 Harley Imported the 175 you found on E'bay along with a 250 and 125. We promptly took the lights off , stretched the frames and went back out to the desert. A couple of Baja wins along with several District 37 desert wins came on these bikes. In late 77 harley came out with the 250mx and an actual factory motocross team. No national title but I believe there was a national win. Harley got out of the game after that but it was fun times. I still have one of my old Baja's and a MX250 that I'm restoring.

A neighborhood kid had an MX 250 when I was growing up. It had lots of power, but was pretty damn heavy. Rex Staten won an AMA National on one in 1977, but Harley disbanded their MX team the next year and the MX 250 was only sold during the '78 model year.

I was looking at the same bikes a few months ago on Ebay/the internet. Probably the only Harley I'd even think about buying. Seem like pretty cool bikes. I've also seen some really mint ones go pretty cheap on Ebay. But, maybe there's a reason for that...

Had not seen an AMF Harley for a loooong time. They were made in Italy. I saw a few of them in southern Europe in the late 70's and 80s. The only versions I saw on the street over there were the 125cc and 250cc.

They must have been 'somewhat' reliable because a guy in my hometown rode one until the early 90s -it was the black 125cc, said AMF Harley Davidson on the tank with the white/red/blue S pintripes. But who knows... maybe he just liked to tinker with his bike :thumbsup:

WOW, SURE LOOKS GOOD SITTING THERE FOR A PICTURE.

JUST DON'T TRY TO RIDE IT.

I have a 1974 H-D SX-175 in near mint shape.

Only because it sat in a storage trailer for 20 some years until I found it.

These things will hurt you if you try to ride them.

They really look good in a camp site of a biker rodeo...

Black Bike Bob