Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone tried this?

Was doing some searching on the net for a solution to transporting my dog. I found a company that sells dog carriers that bolt onto bike racks. Was thinking about getting one for the DRZ to take the dog back and forth from the country. Here is the catch, I have a golden retriever that weighs 60 pounds. The little sticker on the back maxes out at 11. Now I know I can put more than 11, but 60? If it were tools or bags i would not bother to post and just go do it, but it's my dog.... don't want the rack to fail at 65mph, ya know? So will it take the weight? It's a factory rack

Try to get the carrier as far forward as possible. Ideally the dogs weight should be approx. where a passengers would be. If it is back to far, try to keep it centered above the rear axle at least, you will experience some weird handling.

Also give your vet a call and get some sedative for the dog, otherwise 60lb bouncing around in a crate could get ugly.

A slight mishap could easily maim or kill your dog if you carry it like that. Those carriers don't afford any real protection when it comes to the animal inside getting thrashed around in an accident.

I have a 75 lb dog and I couldn't imagine putting him on the back of my DRZ. :thumbsup:

I am contemplating getting another bike with a sidecar to bring "Junior" along.

He is actually named Wyle E, so if we were going down the highway and there was a roadrunner, who knows what could happen. :ride:

I can't see putting a 60 pound dog on my DRZ. My dog is a 80lbs choc lab, if we sent down we would both be in big trouble....

Get a truck, dogs love them... :thumbsup:

Man...Think about that one first...You'd never forgive yourself if something went wrong...

motor20tasjm2.jpg

I think we know who wears the pants in this relationship.

I need to go along with the other guys and say to risky for you and your dog.

This is the funniest thread i've ever seen!

Put the dog in the car and the bike on the trailer, don't try it the other way around.

I'm sure you've seen 'on any sunday'? One of the desert racers in that takes his dog along.. It sits on the fuel tank gripping a bit of carpet thats glues there :thumbsup: and its quite a big dog

Not sure i'd be trying it though

motor20tasjm2.jpg

I think we know who wears the pants in this relationship.

I need to go along with the other guys and say to risky for you and your dog.

what an moronic looking man! :thumbsup:

ummmmm I don't think a dirt bike is any place for a dog. That is a accident waiting to happen.

Is it odd that I ride with my kids all the time but wouldn't put a dog on the bike.

Seriously I would be more concerned about the dog changing positions while turning than the weight.

You gotta be freekin kiddin me...leave the dog at home and go have fun on the DRZ man. It just doesn't sound like a good idea, does it?

Lloyd

If you want the dog there that bad just send him FedEx. It would probably be a lot safer. :thumbsup: