Filled bars with Silicone,noticing less hand fatigue

Last week I decided to try filling my stock 06 Pro Taper bars with silicone after someone here mentioned it might be a good/cheaper alternative to bar inserts for reducing vibration. Was easy enough to do,just took the throttle tube off and the clutch side grip off and then pounded the tube's nozzle in the bars to make a nice sealed fit,and pumped it in till it came out the other side.

Was really easy to do and actually worked really well.

I had been noticing that after an hour or two of riding,my throttle hand was going numb from the vibration in the bars of my 06 YZ250F. I know,I know,relax my grip and that won't happen. Easier said than done. ?

Anyway,I rode for quite a while last week,and I did not even notice it that day while I was riding,but later that night it occurred to me that not once did my hand go numb or did the vibration bother me.

So,to those who recommended it,THANK YOU! :ride:

Overall,a great $2 mod,in my opinion.

(edit cuz I cannt spull)

The best CHEAPEST solution I found for it is to hold on to the bike more with your legs (the way you should anyhow). No arm pump, numbness, blisters and far better control of the bike. Holding the bike with your legs removes the need for the DEATH GRIP and thus removes all above symptoms and it doesn't cost a penny or increase you center of gravity (like handlebars full of silicone), in fact it lowers COG.

OWENLO ?

It took less than half of a tube of regular RTV silicone,so the weight increase was minimal/nothing IMO.

I filled the whole bar....all the way through. The part that took the longest was getting the clutch side grip off so that I could reuse it without the help of using compressed air.

To reclaim the weight I added by using about 40% of a tube of silicone in the bars,I'll get a haircut,pop all pimples and a take a crap before riding. Because we all know what a difference half a pound can make. Especially way high up like that.....it actually shocks me that I can still control the bike,now that you mention it. I coulda been killed! Wonder how much my preprinted background weighs.....I ought to take that off.......

To be truthful,I notice no difference in the weight or higher COG.

It amazes me how some people will chime in and talk crap rather than just abstaining from posting. Isn't padding the post count frowned upon?

Regardless,any change I noticed was beneficial.

Thank you for the riding tips,seriously.

• Like 1

For those who care........

I have heard that putting silicone in the bars helps with vibration. I have not tried it. I am glad you did, because now you/we have some first hand information about the subject.

As for the density thing, I found that in the PIOMA research textbook.

www.pulleditouttamya$$.com.net.gov.etc

Would putting insulation foam in the bar do the same trick? I.e. the stuff that as it comes out, it foams up and fill holes for insulation purpose in houses? For that matter, any other substance to fill the space in the bar to soak up the vibration without adding too much weight to the bar?

For those of you using bark busters, make sure to leave room at the end of the bar to insert the bolts when you fill your bars up with stuff like silicone...

Its funny,I almost used exanding foam insulation instead before someone here suggested the silicone. As for whether or not it will work better/the same/at all,I really cannot say. I do wonder though. It'd be a HECK of a lot lighter for those that are worried about the weight of it........

What are we pedaling these things? The weight issue is so neglaible for what benefits I can imagine. As for using spray foam vs silicone, the foam is much less dense and would not be effective as a damperner of vibrations. I could imagine the high frequency vibrations that you are trying to dampen could break down the foam after time. Silicone is very similar to the elastomer material used in funky pivoting MX bars, skate trucks and cheaper MTB suspension and is well suited to dampen vibration. Its Dense and pliable....

Sounds to me like it would be worth time to try it. The other alternative is to drop 600 bucks on a stabilizer, which is inevitable once you feel the benfits.

What are we pedaling these things? The weight issue is so neglaible for what benefits I can imagine. As for using spray foam vs silicone, the foam is much less dense and would not be effective as a damperner of vibrations. I could imagine the high frequency vibrations that you are trying to dampen could break down the foam after time. Silicone is very similar to the elastomer material used in funky pivoting MX bars, skate trucks and cheaper MTB suspension and is well suited to dampen vibration. Its Dense and pliable....

Sounds to me like it would be worth time to try it. The other alternative is to drop 600 bucks on a stabilizer, which is inevitable once you feel the benfits.

Agree about the weight issue, it's so miniscule people shouldn't worry about it. Of all the stuff we put on our bikes, why are people worried about the weight of silicone vs. a steering stabilizer vs. fork subtanks vs. bark busters, etc., all of which are mounted up high? ?

The other substance that is similar to the clear silicone is liquid gasket, similar texture and it hardens up the same way, might even be better stuff to use than silicone. :ride: For those who really worries, figure out the density of silicone vs. liquid gasket and use the lighter of the 2 substances :applause: