Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 vs. 125L wheels

Have a question for all of you TTR experts...

I just purchased my daughter a 2006 TTR 125L. However, the bike is still a little tall for her...

The questions is, will the complete wheels from a 2005 125 fit the 2006 125L? I know the front brakes are different. However, I was hoping that all I would need to do is swap the complete wheels (front brake, cable, and control included)....

No, because you need the nub on the forks that the brake stay slides into. Although, you probably could weld one on, then grind it off when you switch back. I think someone sells a lowering link for the rear, then you could slide the forks up in the clamps. That will give you about an inch or inch and a half. You can also make a lowering link, there's a post with pics on that.

If you want I could trade you the stock ttr125 wheels for the stock ttr125l wheels, the stock ttr125 swingarm for the stock ttr125l swingarm, and the stock ttr125 forks for your stock ttr125l forks. Or I could sell them to you for when you want it taller. You should have just got the ttr125. Oh, and do you know how to make a lowering kit? That is another Idea!

I think if I would have bought the the 125 model I would be purchasing another bike again next year.... My daughter can just barely touch tippy toe on the 125L model.... It looks like the best solution may be to raise the forks up to the handle bars and adjust the rear spring...

I knew it couldn't be as simple as just swapping wheels....

Thanks for the replies.....

Too tall?

Just soften the rear spring preload, and you should be good. My daughter went to dirt bike school, and we softened the rear. That was last July05, now we are in 06...and the spring preload is back up 25% and the compr and rebnd is a little stiffer.

She loves it!!! She just turned 11 on the 10th. Notice how low the bike sits....

normal_DSC06789.JPG

Just slide the forks up into the clamps, and adjust/soften the rear suspension and you should be fine.

I would also just say to raise the forks up in the clamps, and soften the rear, but someone actually did lace a ttr125 rim into a ttr125L front wheel. One is on ebay right now.

Hey, I'm doing the opposite conversion you are doing, I have the TTR125-E wit

17 inch front and 14 inch rear. :thumbsup: