Sign in to follow this  

When and what for my first service?

hey guys,

i have about 62 kms on my 06 crf450x and was wondering what i should be prepared to do for my first after break in service? also when should i plan to do this? i know i will obvioulsy change the engine oil and filter and trans oil, but what else should i do? thanks guys

fork oil, steering head bearing grease, lsuspension link bearing grease, swingarm bearing grease.

Go right over the bike with your sockets / spanners and tighten anything that might have worked a little loose too.

hey guys,

i have about 62 kms on my 06 crf450x and was wondering what i should be prepared to do for my first after break in service? also when should i plan to do this? i know i will obvioulsy change the engine oil and filter and trans oil, but what else should i do? thanks guys

Don't forget to clean your air filter and lube up your cables. Also, check your spokes and tighten where necessary. Honda recommendations are in hours, but I changed the oil in my trans. and engine after about 50 km to get the break-in oil out (which can get filled with metal flashings from the break in process). Put a wrench on all nuts and bolts (torque wrench if required, specs are in your manual). This should take about an afternoon's worth of time, but will be worth it down the road.

lossen each spoke and put anti seize on the threads, change the filter 2 times during break in, then once every 2-3 oil changes afterwards. Grease everything. The linkage will rot out on you very fast. Pull out the exhaust baffle, remove the bearing seals and grease the bearings. pack the shit out of it with grease. I just spent 150 bucks on all nex linkage bearings, and front wheel bearings.

hey guys thanks for the info! i am gonna take apart the bike this weekend to grease the suspension and the steering heard bearings, but i have one question. how do i get the steering head off and on? my owners manual doesnt cover it. if you guys could shed some like on it that would be wicked, thanks.

nut on top of upper triple is torqued to 80ft lbs. There is a spanner type nut under the triple that gets 5ft lbs ( or tighten until steering begins to slightly torque up and loosen) its almost just hand tight.

you can use a punch or screw driver for the spanner because it barely gets any pressure.

does the triple have to come off? or does the big bolt through the steering heard just drop out the bottom, and slide the front shocks and triple off the frame?

the tube wont slide out, it is pressed intot he bottom triple clamp. Though you can lube it by just removing the top nut, top triple, and retainer nut, and then drop the lower aone and th ebearing will be right there

So like shady said yes the triple has to come off.