Sign in to follow this  

Sprockets & Chain

Hey, I have another noobish question for y'all: where should I go to buy a new chain and sprockets for my DR 650? Do I have to go through the Suzuki dealership for these? And are there many different brands/types? Someone clue me in here, thanks

OKay, I have another question. I ride on the street and I want to change my gear ratio a bit to "strech out" each gear. I know I need more teeth on the countershaft sprocket(the small one), but what about the rear sprocket? Do I just get a standard one?(furthermore, how many teeth are on a stock DR650 rear sprocket?) Your experience and helpfulness is appreciated.

The stock sprockets are a 15 tooth counter shaft and a 42 tooth rear. You want the gear your DR up more than stock? Are you taking it to Bonneville? That thing is already geared to the moon. 5th gear is overdriven at .826 to 1 with the original sprockets.

haha, not Bonneville, just the bay area. I just wanted to maybe get more out of my lower gears since I'm normally crankin in 3rd in the city. If I get a 16 tooth countershaft, I will still be okay with a 42 tooth rear right? so, Artguy, would you recommend just replacing the sprockets to how they are stock for mainly city riding? thanks for the help

My '06 DR seems geared way high even for the street. I'm waiting until it's fully broken in to swap the sprockets and then I will go just a bit lower than stock for back road riding. If you swap the counter shaft sprocket to a 16 tooth you'll change the ratio from the stock 2.8 to 1 ratio to 2.6 to 1 ratio. about a 7% increase. 3,000 rpm with the stock gearing in 2nd gear should put you at about 49 mph. Switch to a 16 tooth and 3K rpm in second jumps to 52 mph. Is that what you're looking for? While you will have a bit more speed in each gear, it will take you longer to get there.

16 tooth is pretty amazing on the street

It aint gonna take longer to get anywhere

I have the 16t with a 42 in back and I really like it. Riding hard I shift at about 30, 45, 60 and 75. 4th gear is a great 60-70 mph cruiser for side roads and 5th is a nice overdrive for the freeways. At 15mph it will easily loop or with a little modulation ride a 1' power wheelie til you need to shift. I also found 1st gear gets you all the way thru the intersections where the 15t would need shifting before you were thru it. I have to say I don't do many trails that require going slow, if you did you would have to ride the clutch. Dirt roads are great with the tall gearing 1st is useable and 2nd has a little higher range.

Anyone ever try the 16t with a 43 in back? or a 15t with a 41

14/42 = 3 preferred dirt

15/42 = 2.8 stock IMO a poor comprimise resulting in being geared wrong for dirt or street

16/43 = 2.69 ?

15/41 = 2.73 ?

16/42 = 2.63 me :thumbsup:

A faster 3rd gear and a longer 1st gear is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm intent on swithcing from 15/42 to 16/42 now. I only ride street so far, so I think those ratios will be better for me. Also, is there a specific chain that will be good for just street riding? Thanks for the help everyone

You should (or need to as the 16t for the DR is hard to find) talk to Jesse as mentioned above. On his rec. I went with a 520 chain instead of the 525 that is stock. It is the same chain but slightly narrower and since it has the same size pins and stuff the narrower version is lighter and stronger. Lets see lighter, stronger another decision on suzuki's part that I can't figure out - the older DR's had a 520 and they changed to a 525.

Jesse also likes the aluminum rear sprocket which saves on weight

I just ordered the 14 and 45 sprocket set from Kientech as well as the required O ring chain. I'll let you know how the performance of the bike changes.

That should really rip. It's off the chart I made 45/14 = 3.21 that should lift the wheel whatever gear it happens to be in

I'm running a 14/45 and it works with the stock chain. No need to order another chain unless there is a problem with your current chain.

Normally, unless the chain or sprockets are brand new, you should change them as a set. Both the chain and sprockets will last longer and wear better. If your looking for durability I would stay away from aluminum sprocket. I had a 750 monster that ate aluminum rear sprockets (also a 520 chain) and the bike only made 10 to 15 hp more than the DR and was a twin.

I own a '93 dr650 and the stock setup is 16/42 with a 520 chain. I am moving to Phoenix AZ, where there are lots and lots of wide open trails. The city its basically a flat grid, and everybody hauls ass @ 85-90mph on the freeway! This gearing works great for me now and will be ideal for the type of riding in AZ. Whatever gearing you decide, stick with steel. Jesse most likely recomends aluminum because it will not last as long as steel, hence you will need to purchase another one from him sooner(this is just MY own wacky logic however).

I just ordered the 14 and 45 sprocket set from Kientech as well as the required O ring chain. I'll let you know how the performance of the bike changes.

Well, I made the switch to 14/45. I'm happy to report that 1st gear now acts like a real 1st gear and 2nd like the previous first.

I ordered a 14 tooth front sprocket from Jesse and just installed it tonight. I was surprised at how easy it was. One phone call to Jesse to confirm that the new sprocket goes on with the c-clip alone and I was all set. I haven't ridden it yet, but I can't wait till tomorrow afternoon to try the new gearing.

I'm using 15x43 with a 525 chain, previously I had 15x41 (European stock sprockets), This was the best upgrade I've ever made...

I wanted to add one more thing I did. After installing the sprocket last night I thought about the space between the clip and the sprocket. I went to Lowes to see if they had any rubber or nylon washers that could be used as a spacer. I bought several washers and brought them home. I held them up to the sprocket and it looked like a 1/16 washer would fit while the 1/8 washer was too thick.

I wound up using a Hillman 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 1/16 black rubber washer. I cut the center of the washer out to the shape of the shaft so I could slide the washer onto the shaft between the clip and the sprocket. I popped the clip off, put the washer on and put the clip back on. I took it out for a ride and it seems to be working. I'll pull the cover off and check it in a week.

Pics in the DR650 album:

http://www.photos.yahoo.com/sdelthony