Sign in to follow this  

Tower city

Guys, Gals,

I was at Tower City this past saturday and me and the kids had a blast. We got lost and then found and lost again. 6 hours of riding. I think it was great. How do you rate the place as compared to all others in the area for off road trails? ( not MX)

Do a search in the Northeast forum for Tower City and you can find many threads about it.

I am a huge fan of TC and have had a family membership for now my fourth full year and we also have a campsite with a 33' travel trailer on property

Some may say it is too rocky, others may say the coal dust is too dirty but I say it is 8000+/- acres of land that for a really great price you can ride LEGALLY 360 days a year without the worry of being chased by the cops or shot at by an angry land owner.

May I suggest you try to get up labor day saturday and try the "local" trail group ride. We leave the Pavillion across from the office at 10:30am and ride a real nice casual pace for about 25-30 miles showing everyone many off-shoot trails that most of us do not know where they lead and would normally not venture down. Most of these trails all intertwind and come back to the main trail system, so once you learn them you can ride for hours without going on the same trail and without getting lost.

PM me if you have any specific questions and hopefully I can answer them for you or direct you to an officer of the club that can help you out.

David :thumbsup:

Guys, Gals,

I was at Tower City this past saturday and me and the kids had a blast. We got lost and then found and lost again. 6 hours of riding. I think it was great. How do you rate the place as compared to all others in the area for off road trails? ( not MX)

I am sure I will catch some flack from the people that love TC and can find

nothing wrong with it, but here is my assessment.

It is too crowded now with too many members, decent campsites are

impossible to find, when you do find one you have disrespectful neighbors all

around you that run loud jobsite generators 24 hours a day, loud music all

night, etc. The camping area has also seemed to turn into a shanty

town with some really out of control campsites. People seem to forget why

they are there: to ride.

The crowds also mean that a lot of the trails are worn down to the point of

being a chore to ride on. Too much traffic constantly tearing them up.

They keep losing land, and not adding any. When I joined them in 1999 they

claimed over 12,000 acres. Now they seem to be at 8000 last report I saw.

Shrinking land + growing member count = bad news.

The locals run amok, trespass on club land, ride on the streets, and generally

tend to keep the TC members on the hotseat for bad behavior the club isn't

even responsible for.

I was a member for almost 5 years and quit because it wasn't fun there

anymore.

As someone coming into it new, I am sure it is the greatest thing since sliced

bread for you. I thought it was great too... at first. If your family just

wants to do casual riding and some playing in the play areas, it may do well

for you.

It is a great idea, but the execution has suffered over the years. After you

spend some time there you will start to see the issues also. I guess what

you get out of it will depend greatly on what type of riding and experience

you are looking for. TC seems to work good for some people, while for

others the issues add up to it just not being worth the money.

just my $.02

Guys, Gals,

one word..........SUCKS............... :thumbsup: oh and I love riding rocks

TC is great place for those of us who don't care to "outlaw ride" anymore like some.

I don't care how pristine those secret spots are, there's a reason the state gov. is taking sides with the greenies. Just because someone knows of spots where you can never get caught, doesn't mean you're invisible and nobody knows you've been there. You only contribute to the demise of our sport. So thank you to all you d-bags who are speeding up the process.

Back to TC, DeepPurplishBlue that's an interesting perspective considering you were a long-time member there. I can definitely see some of your points, however I manage to miss the weekenders and schedule my riding/camping there during the weekdays.

I've camped there weekends and it's definitely a bit louder at nite, but nothing out of control that I've seen in two years. I think the TC staff makes it very clear that this is "Your" place to keep open. Those guys aren't into the babysitting thing, but I think they do their best to enforce the rules and try and keep the place running safe.

I thank you all for your input on tower city. I been meaning to go and ride there since i moved to Pa this Jan. 06' . I'm really missing the riding bug. I'm just having a hard time justifying spending the money to just try it out since it is far for me since I live on the PA/MD. border. I'm looking at $100 just to go up there to see if i like it! If I do then a yearly membership when I can't just go up when ever being kind of far.I won't mind spending the $35 when I wanted to go.Don't like the one shot try it out deal either. I have talk to Woodsriders , nice guy and he is like a vice president of the club. Anyone been to the ATV parks anywhere else in either PA or MD, I heard horror stories about Paragon or LOL Was to call them The Paragon Pussys. :thumbsup:

Back to TC, DeepPurplishBlue that's an interesting perspective considering you were a long-time member there. I can definitely see some of your points, however I manage to miss the weekenders and schedule my riding/camping there during the weekdays.

I've ridden on weekdays also, and that isn't without its problems either. Imagine

emerging from the woods and staring down a 100 ton giant dump truck hauling

ass in your direction. :thumbsup:

On weekdays you don't have throngs of people to avoid, just big tonka

toys! It is difficult to manage with a regular job, but I would agree

weekdays are the best time to be there.

I forgot to mention one of the most annoying things I found at TC. The owner

of the land is so bent on making money that he shares the land with hunters.

Not only does this seriously limit weekend riding during hunting season, it is not

a compatible use of the land. People with guns trying to hunt and people on

loud machines don't mix. And yes the "rules" try to keep the two separate

but in practice I saw that wasn't happening. One day I was riding on the

mountain that is NEVER supposed to be closed for hunters and I came around

a bend and what did I see? a guy in full camo with camo face paint and a

a shotgun. That told me it is a matter of time before someone gets shot.

I came around a bend and what did I see? a guy in full camo with camo face paint and a a shotgun. That told me it is a matter of time before someone gets shot.

Yup, seen that before too. One time was an older guy on a decked out utility quad with a shotgun in his lap riding towards me. He didn't wave. :thumbsup:

The other was two guys standing on the edge of the trail, rifles in hand looking for a deer they shot. They weren't too happy to see us either.

I forgot to mention the occasional collapse and exposure of the old mine shafts too. Our neighbor at our site went into his camper one morning and realized his 4 foot by 4 foot pallet he used as a step was wobbling. There was only a few inches of dirt left holding it up around the edges. A mine shaft had opened up right underneith it after some hard rains. This hole would have easily swallowed up a kid.

I guess it's just one more danger of riding those areas that you have to assume though.

I am sure I will catch some flack from the people that love TC and can find

nothing wrong with it, but here is my assessment.

Not to worry, that is what forums are for. If you ask 10 people the same question you will most likely get 10 different answers/opinions.

I am a fan of TC but I do understand many of the points you and others have made. Yes there can be a lot of people on the weekends but once you get off the main trails such as the "turnpike" you may not see another rider for an hour or so.

Have you ever been to Rausch, Englishtown, Chatsworth, or any of the other riding place on the weekends? At the MX parks if you are not an advanced rider you might as well leave your bike on the trailer on most weekends.

The outlaw issue has and will always be a problem, that is what closed the place originally back in the late 90's, I do not know if there is anything they can ever do about that. Camping has actually gotten better in the last year or so because most people have had enough with many of the problems described and just plain go and talk to the neighbors about things that are not acceptable, myself included, and that is usually all it takes to work it out, seems so simple but it is actually working.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, back to the main question. Gary C asked "How is TC COMPARED to other trail riding facilities (legal) in the area". I am from NJ and my response is, there is no comparision since as far as I know, there is nothing in the immediate area to compare it too and that really is the issue we all face as a riding community, where do we ride legally?

David :thumbsup:

I joined tower city this past April. My son & I needed a legal place to ride , as well as develop our riding skills. We have only been there on weekends so far. The owners, fellow members , campers & riders have been nothing but polite, considerate , helpful & downright friendly to us. About a month ago my son went down pretty hard, I was about 50 ft from him, before I could turn around & get to him a fellow rider (stranger) was already helping him out. We have been invited to campsites , & offered a campsite to stay at whenever we wanted. We've been on two group rides & even though I am not a fast rider everyone was considerate. We have never had a problem with overcrowding , we do a lot of exploring & many times do not run into other riders for a hour or two. Yes , a lot of the trails are very rocky , but what we do is take trail 1 from start to finish as our 1st ride every time we go. We figure if you can manage that trail you can pretty much ride anywhere at TC. Even though we are planning week long trips to Hatfield McCoy & Allegheny National Forest next year , we will be renewing our Tower City membership. It's been nothing but a positive experience for us.

Rich - TTR250

Jesse - TTR125L

is it better then paragon?i thought paragon was ok?

Paragon is excellent and so is Tower City. Don't listen to the few a-holes who want a 1,000,000 acre riding area to themselves for $5 per day. These guys need to either grow-up and face reality or buy their own land to ride on.

There is no real comparison to TC around but i bet a few more come popping up soon. There is LOTS of better riding, bigger areas, nicer trails, actual destinations and senic views but you got to find it, they are everywhere.

just to clear up a few things for annals of time, the land owner is cool, he always let everybody ride free, for years and years, a very nice man, yeah kids rode across the street repeatedly and locals dump their trash, and locals broke in to the work site and locals shot their guns there, but the ones who got it shut down, changed to a pay site then exploited it to its fullest on the internet, are the ones that are now grossly over-profiting from it, and its not the land owner, hes got plenty, everyone else wanted it to be and tried to make it a volunteer thing, and it looked like it was going to work, but the TCTRI guys convinced him to make TCTRI and Rausch Creek (land both owned by same person Lickman) a pay to ride area and a future resort area cause, in their own words in a local newspaper, "when you see all the big rigs and fancy haulers you know theres money." They talk the club talk but its all business, dollars and cents. Lesson learned don't show your buddy from NJ a cool ride spot or he might steal it from you then kick you out for being a trouble maker cause you said something that pissed him off. glad I got that off my chest.

"Lesson learned don't show your buddy from NJ a cool ride spot or he might steal it from you then kick you out for being a trouble maker cause you said something that pissed him off. glad I got that off my chest. "

I didn't know the TCTRI guys were from Jersey!!! How cool is that!! Seriously,where did you get the info about how it all went down? Thats a shame if it's true. Maybe it's just the guys in MD being paranoid.

Okay, now I'm curious --- Terror, you said "lots of better riding areas...opening up soon".

Could you elaborate? Are we talking about Maryland or PA?

Here's one www.mountainridgeatvtrails.com

I haven't been there, so I don't know what it is like.

I'm a member at Tower City and don't seem to have the problems I've read about here with all the traffic, even on Sundays. I don't spend much time on the main trails though and have been able to find diverse terrain to ride.