Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sport MXC???

I've been trying to purchase an EXC520 or EXC525. In my search, I've ran across an MXC525 that has a light kit on it, and it seems to be in pretty nice shape. My understanding is that the difference is the EXC has the wide ratio trans.

I plan on using the dual sport for a wide variety of riding, from street through motocross, the desert, and the mountain trails.

Do you think the lack of the wide ratio trans is a problem?

For your planned useage, the wider ratio EXC tranny would be more versatile and more suitable for your needs than the very close ratio MXC tranny. The MXC tranny can be geared to suit any one particular riding terrain but the EXC tranny is a better 'jack of all trades'.

Ditto, I have both and I do use the MXC for dual sport in mexico, but the EXC is really better all around.

Well,

I was going to start a thread as to which bike is preferred for all around usage, but your answers here have already answered my question :thumbsup:. The EXC is simply a better "All :applause: Around" bike (street, desert, mountain trails, sand etc...I don't really do any motoX). My question now is: Why would someone choose the MXC/XC over the EXC if they were both sitting on the showroom floor? I'm trying to contemplate in my mind why someone would prefer a one-sided bike over an all purpose street legal?

Case in point, if I were going to ride a single purpose bike, it would most likely not be an mxc. I personally think that the EXC is by far the best :applause: "All purpose" bike out there, but is the MXC/XC the best single purpose bike out there? I'm not sure that I think so. I have had the opportunity to ride an MXC and it is a fun bike for sure but would I pick it for single class running over say a 450R? or a KX450F? I'm not really sure. What is considered the best purpose for the MXC/XC :ride: ?

The close ratio bikes are great at mid-speed races that fall between motocross and grand prix, they have a new gear to choose from without any bog while shifting and are a bit quicker going corner to corner. For speeds under 5 MPH and over about 50 MPH, like rock crawling and fire roads or highways, the wide ratio has the right gear for both extremes. In 6th gear the wide ratio EXC is about 24% higher than the 6 speed MXC. At slow speeds, the EXC is also lower geared in 1st and 2nd. The EXC gears are not perfectly suited for MX, neither is the plusher suspension, but for playing around and racing with serious friends, it seems to do the job just fine.

I no longer race MX, so the EXC gearing is perfect for me. It seems I'm either picking my way along a tough trail or racing the fast desert dunes, whoops and roads. For my riding, I don't feel that I give up anything by choosing to ride the

450 EXC. However, I will always miss the light weight and power of the old 500 2-stokes.

Hey Hemi-,

Thx for the kind wisdom:prof:. You're definitely one of the better thumpers. BTW, Do you prefer a 450 for the speed, torque, weight? Have you rode a 525 before? Did you ever consider buying a 525 instead of the 450? What was your reason? I've heard that in alot of ways, the 450 kicks ass over the 525 in alot of situations.

:thumbsup: