Sign in to follow this  

Dex Cool Ok?

Going to change my coolant.

Any reason not to use this stuff with distilled water?

Wow, I've never heard of this before. I don' see why it would hurt it, but just don't have it come in contact with the old coolant or it will dilute it.

Going to change my coolant.

Any reason not to use this stuff with distilled water?

Do a search, we had a discussion on this in December. I believe the consensus was to use the green stuff not the orange stuff (Dexcool is orange no?). There was a thread that I started on "Prestone", the info is all there...

I run it straight, the prestone brand. Never had any problems with corrosion or overheating. Cools better than 50/50 green.

Running antifreeze straight is not going to have better heat transfer,atleast cut it 50/50.

Ok, thanks guys!!

:thumbsup:

(and for the record, I did do a "dex cool" search first and nothing came up)

:ride:

well know what conventional wisedom says, but try it. I usually have problems getting my bike up to temp when it is below 70* outside.

well know what conventional wisedom says, but try it. I usually have problems getting my bike up to temp when it is below 70* outside.

Matt - with all the documented cases of various problems using Dexcool and testimonies from the red riders, why would you use this stuff? Why do you suggest for others to try it too? You usually give very good advice, but this is a bit strange coming from you... :thumbsup:

There have been reports from Gm users that dex cool leaves sludge if the radiator is not topped off,I have never witnessed this.I have used Prestone long life before they changed over to there new formula.I had no problems at all using Prestone in the past,I used it for 5 years.Like mentioned they have a new formula now that supposed to mix with anything,and it is still long life. I have been using Zerex G-05,do some research on it. What ever you use,do not waste your money on motorcycle coolants that cost 6.00qrt and half is water. There are plenty of auto antifreeze that are phosphate and silicate free.I still to this day, say there is nothing wrong with green coolant with phosphate and silicates. Hard water like in Europe will not mix well with green coolant,that is why they drop phos and silicate out of the formula. I remember Honda started this nonsense,saying phosphates and silicates will damage water pump seals.If you use green coolant and live in Europe,use distilled water and you will be fine.

You can run 'ANY' aluminum safe antifreeze in your bike. The distilled water helps minimize mineral corrosion in your cooling system. I personally like Maxima premixed coolant. It has all the good stuff already in there. :thumbsup:

Silicate free

That is why. Dont have to worry as much about taking out water pump seals. Also it runs cooler and never had a problem. I have had the top end down like 6 times (mods, different pistons, recall, etc) now on the 06, and recently tore down my 05 that I sold (hi comp piston install). No deposits or anything in the radiators.