Sign in to follow this  

Ridgerunners HS

Dwight I see you were at the HS this weekend. How in the world is the best way to take the sand whoops? I am still sore from the beating they gave me.

i was there too...worked it. I was the big guy at the last observation check before the sandpit, and i did some cleanup riding too.

Uh...about the sand whoops...I got a chance to talk to Ken Potts(A rider) and all he said about them is they seperate the boys from the men. So for the boys...which I guess include me, because I hate them...go around?

The only thing Ive heard about how to do whoops, especially sand ones is to pin it and lean back...but with whoops as big as those, and with sand...it's all I can do to just slow it down and dip down in everyone....and as im going down in one, to gas it to help the front end get over the other one...but then you have to deal with the sand...arggg!!!

This is a perfect situatuion question IMO...because those whoops are the hardest ones Ive ever done. They include the two hardest obstacles for me...whoops and sand. I hate both. The rest of the course was awesome though. It sucked riding in the hard rain inbetween races doing cleanup though.

I was there too and managed five laps so I had my share of those sand whoops. I don't really have much experience with whoops but I just went with the lean back and gas it approach (trying to absorb as much as possible with your knees) which works ok but its still gonna beat you up.

Sometimes I could wheelie (not really a concious thing, just sorta happens when you do something right) while the back tire went down the back of the whoop and hit the next one with the front up, which made it WAY better but was impossible to do everytime on the uneven whoops, there was one short patch of them that I could nail every lap but it was only about 5 or so whoops long and they were spaced evenly.

For the soreness, thats to be expected, I'm 23 and I'm still a little sore too. I sure loved that rain on the last lap. :thumbsup:

Just my thoughts,

Joel

I would try to double but would get two and case the next set. I only made 4 laps and was too tired to stand so I just rolled over. I could find a way around most of them through the briers. Other than the whoops I enjoyed the rest of the race. The rain was nice on my last lap. I would like to say thanks to Ridgerunners for the Fun Run on Saturday my 6 year old son really enjoyed getting to ride on the adult track.

Going over whoops especially sand whoops is a matter of timing, that's why they call it the "Rhythm Section". I try to approach the section in a simi-standing (knees bent) position with my weight just back of centerline, and my arms not fully extended. I'm usually in second or third at mid throtle and try to goose the throttle at every apex to stay out of the trough, takes a couple laps to get the timing just right.

KDXpert, I was the guy in the 2nd race on the CRF250X that blew my horn at you guys. I would yell my number, "Two-Seventy-One!!"

That rain sucked for us. We sat at the start getting drenched. My gloves got wet (trying to keep my goggles dry) so it caused blisters on about the 3rd lap.

The course was great but those sand whoops were aweful. My legs were noodles at the end of the race. They weren't too bad to navigate until you got tired. Then they turned from whoops to small mountains. :thumbsup: