Sign in to follow this  

swappiing on fast jump

i have been so frustrated this summer, i haven't even rode for a couple of weeks now but i'm ready again. in the past i've never had any trouble jumping now this summer, getting on some new soil, i've been swapping real bad on these doubles that i have to be on the pipe all the way up the face to clear. i'm gripping the bike hard with my legs and it still will swap. when the back end starts to swap it's like i have no power over pulling it back, what am i doing wrong. i'm not a great rider, i'm still learning how to move the bike in the air, but any advice would be appreciated. if all your going to do is rip on me then please save it.

Heres a thread I made about it. I swapped really hard last weekend and was lucky to come out in one piece!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405778

Heres what I've gathered so far: Grip hard with your legs going off the face so the bike won't kick so much, if it does kick then use your legs and blip the throttle to try and move the bike back straight, land on the front wheel with the throttle on hard and make sure you're gripping hard with your legs as you land.

Hope this helps

idk about you guys, but personally i just relax on the face and let the bike do whatever it wants. i think some of you guys are getting to concentrated on gripping the bike and not relaxing.

I am curious...if the bike is swapping that much, I would start looking at the suspension setup. You should be able to hold it WFO off the face and unless you are leaning WAY over not have it get sideways that much.

Al

Well sometimes you hit an unexpected bump or rut in the jump face which will throw the bike.

I did this as well on a 50' table that I over jumped. Some poor kid died doing the same thing the next day...kind of makes it real.

It is enevitable that the bike is going to get sideways on some jump, sometime. especially if your'e on the gas hard out of a turn and up a jump face. So, I decided that the only way to deal with it is to learn to move the bike around ie., whip. This way when the bike starts to get sideways I will be able to get it straight.

If you are goin to go fast and do big jumps you need to know more techniques and tricks for survival.

To day I actually whipped the bike twice and brought it back. That is 2 times in about 100 tries, but I'm still freaked from my last crash.

i hear ya climber. I went down twice from swappin this summer and they both chrunched adn hurt. I have got to do something different. I was thinking the same, but i want to practice my whips on a large step up but haven't been able to locate one yet.

I decided to learn to whip and DEwhip before I do any more big jumps. I have hit all the jumps, fast and had a lot of close calls before my last getoff. Landing swapped at 50mph is real bad.

I'm not goin to make any money at this so I don't need to prove anything other than I can be at work every monday and make my house payment every month.

Classic...

tonight at the track, a guy was clearing a lot of jumps for the first time. Then he swapped on a double...he got banged up pretty bad, and will need a new pair of boots after they cut one of the $300 pair of alpinestars off at the E.R. tonight.

It happens to everyone and at 40 my bones are not made of rubber anymore.

It's like climbing before you learn how to place protection in the rock...suicide.

Check this post out:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391195&highlight=whip

QUOTE: practicing "whipping it" will get you accustomed to the feeling, so that when it happens when you are not planning it, you will automatically correct it and land straight without even thinking about it"

Yup, you either learn to do this or you will eat it forever off jumps. Rebound, axle alignments, body position, rut positioning, kicker on the lip, etc, etc, etc, is all meaningless. If you can't "dewhip" the bike in the air you are on borrowed time. If you CAN "dewhip" a bike you can jump with two bent axles, two flats, (on a rutted, wet ramp) with a monster kicker at the end and you will still land perfectly every time.

Consider, a 6 inch rear deflection on a 10 foot jump compounds into a 4 foot deflection on an 80 foot jump and a monster high side crash! If you can control the rear of the bike in the air you simply put it wherever you want it to be for your landing.

So the VERY FIRST THING a beginner should learn is the whip/dewhipping skill. Even if what you are doing does not cause a noticeable "whip" to even the most observant bystander (but you know its happening!) then you now have the tools required to jump bike air. Now its safe to go have fun. There is no other way, no other answers that can save you.

Sic

"Well, If the rear end kicks to the right, what I would do is turn my body to the right, and press my right heel into the bike to push it back to the left to bring the bike straight. If you look to the right, it's natural that your body will try to follow and it will help straighten the bike. "

Thats another great tip

thanks for that link Climber, I will be working on whips also, it is something i should have done years ago, but if i force myself i think i will gain a lot of lost confidence.

thanks for that link Climber, I will be working on whips also, it is something i should have done years ago, but if i force myself i think i will gain a lot of lost confidence.

When i think about it i am lucky it neve rhappenbd on my old 426, wow that thing was like a tank for me over 80 ftrs, just hit er and try to keep it straight philosophy just doesn't sound as smart to me anymore

just hit er and try to keep it straight philosophy just doesn't sound as smart to me anymore

Same here

You say you're riding on new soil....?

Suspension!

Rebound, mess with your rebound, do a couple laps, then

come in and change it again, repeat process a couple times.

You'll sort it out and be amazed at what 1 or 2 clicks can do.

I get the same frustration when I know I'm riding at my best

but the bike is just refusing to do what it usually does with

the same input. And reason almost always is I'm on different

soil. Therefore, a few clicks are in need in the suspension department.

:thumbsup: