Sign in to follow this  

To Get Head Or Not To Get A Head

I Am Talking About A Cylinder Head. I Have An 03 Crf450 With 200+hours On It. I Need To Replace The Valves I Am Probably Going To Use Stainless Steel Valves Like Kibblewhit Or Ferrea's . I Posted A Thread A Couple Days Ago And Was Surprised That Someone Mentioned To Just Get A New Cyclinder Head. Should I Just Have My 03 Cylinder Head Have The Seats Recut For The New Valves Or Should I Buy A New Cyclinder Head? I Am Trying To Save Some Dough And Dont Want To Spend 1000.00 Bucks On It. I Will Do Most Of The Work Myself Except For The Recutting Of The Valve Seat If I Choose To Use My 03 Head. If I Buy A New Head What Year To Replace It With? 2003? 2006? Just Trying To Get My Bike Dialed In For This Years Dezert Season Racing In D38. Also Where To Take My Cyclinder Head To Be Recut? Should I Just Send It To Rhc In Michagan? I Am Going To Replace The Piston Also Since The Head Will Be Off Going With Oem On This Though As I Have The Wiseco Piston In It Now And It Seems Slower Than Before When I Had The Stock Piston In It. Thanks For The Replies They Are Much Needed

You can get ahead by giving head, but not by getting it! That's why I'm still so far behind.

BTW - Get a new head. It's cheaper to do that than to have the seats recut and new guides installed.

Yeah, but what happens when you don't make with the head? Who said anything about not making with the head? Quit being so suburban. . . . (take a guess) On the real though, get a new head. In fact, get an '06 with RHC's porting, valves, springs, the works. PM me if you're interested in one. Way cheaper than you'll ever find.

BTW - Get a new head. It's cheaper to do that than to have the seats recut and new guides installed.

How so? My local shop charges $25 to cut. You can install the new guides they are a whooping $12 each. Plus valves at 50 each for OEMs. New springs OEM $8 each. Your not going to get into a high dollar rebuild on the head unless you go with a new head and some aftermarket springs and valves. And why change to the high end stuff if the stock OEMs lasted him 200+ hours? Chances are he only needs to work on the intake side. If the exhausts are still in spec, leave them be. So about $150 to do it that route.

Or buy a new 2006 head, (they have better seats) and get aftermarket valves and springs. Will cost around 500-600 if you do it yourself. Or you could go with OEM valves and springs for around 200 less. Which lasted 200+ hours.

I Am Going To Replace The Piston Also Since The Head Will Be Off Going With Oem On This Though As I Have The Wiseco Piston In It Now And It Seems Slower Than Before When I Had The Stock Piston In It. Thanks For The Replies They Are Much Needed

With the intake valves being at 0 in will be alot slower than with the valves in spec. I doubt its your piston slowing you down.

I Am Going To Get A New Cylinder Head. I Am Also Going To Switch To Stainless Steel Valves. I Get Tired Of Constantly Adjusting And Reshimming The Valves Although I Have It Down The Only Reason I Got 200+ Hours Out Of These Valves Was That I Was Constantly Checking Them After Racing A Dezert Race It Seems That The Intake Sides Always Needed To Be Adjusted. Honestly It Was A Pain In The Ass To Adjust Them. When I Get The New Cylinder Head And Valves Will The Valves Need To Be Lapped I Think That Is The Terminology

I Am Going To E-mail Rhc Cycles And See If They Will Sell Me A New Cyclinder Head And Valves . Would You Also Reccomend That I Should Get A New Cam Chain? I Dont Think Mine Is Streched But Better To Be On The Safe Side Right?

I Am Going To Get A New Cylinder Head. I Am Also Going To Switch To Stainless Steel Valves. I Get Tired Of Constantly Adjusting And Reshimming The Valves Although I Have It Down The Only Reason I Got 200+ Hours Out Of These Valves Was That I Was Constantly Checking Them After Racing A Dezert Race It Seems That The Intake Sides Always Needed To Be Adjusted. Honestly It Was A Pain In The Ass To Adjust Them. When I Get The New Cylinder Head And Valves Will The Valves Need To Be Lapped I Think That Is The Terminology

I Am Going To E-mail Rhc Cycles And See If They Will Sell Me A New Cyclinder Head And Valves . Would You Also Reccomend That I Should Get A New Cam Chain? I Dont Think Mine Is Streched But Better To Be On The Safe Side Right?

One thing stop calpizing every word... I would go ahead and get a cam chain, new tensioner. There cheap..

The best place to get the head is www.servicehonda.com They show the '04 head for $210. I would imagine that the '06 head is about the same price.

No lapping, at least not Ti valves. The Honda manual calls for the stock OEM exhausts to be lapped. But specificly says not to lap the Ti Intakes. I believe that the KW SS have some sort of coating and are not to be lapped either.

Still why not just get the seats cut and install new SS valves. Most shops that cut seats also install new guides. You will save that way.