Sign in to follow this  

Seat Shaveing

Whats the best thing to use to shave down a seat
haven't done it myself, but from what I've read, best way is to use an electric carving knife (think Thanksgiving turkey) for the initial shaping, then use coarse sandpaper for the "finish work".

I haven't shaved the seat down on my dirt bike, but I did on my street bike. Even with the electric knife I had, it was a pain to do and I never finished the job. Instead, I redone my seat. It was very easy to do. I used an old piece of carpet padding I found, some duct tape (for the padding to stick), some thick shelf cover stuff I found at Home Depot pretty cheap and contact glue, but any good glue or Goop would work. The padded shelf cover stuff keeps the seat from being quite so hard. Here's what it looks like:

PDR_0823.jpg

I know the seats on a dirt bike are a differently made than street, but if you can pull the foam out, you can replace it.

80 grit sandpaper works quite well. Be careful as it sands fast! It is messy.

I haven't shaved the seat down on my dirt bike, but I did on my street bike. Even with the electric knife I had, it was a pain to do and I never finished the job. Instead, I redone my seat. It was very easy to do. I used an old piece of carpet padding I found, some duct tape (for the padding to stick), some thick shelf cover stuff I found at Home Depot pretty cheap and contact glue, but any good glue or Goop would work. The padded shelf cover stuff keeps the seat from being quite so hard. Here's what it looks like:

PDR_0823.jpg

I know the seats on a dirt bike are a differently made than street, but if you can pull the foam out, you can replace it.

i did not think it was that hard, i did it on my cr80 when i first got it, what i did was just start "carving" strips just like a turkey, i took 2 inches off my seat and finished with sandpaper, in all i took like 2-1/8 inches off the seat and it turned out great but the seat cover did not fit right so i had to cut some length off the seat cover itself to make it fit. in all it was great but i had to buy a new seat in 6 months because i got taller, remember you cannot put foam back on the seat so only take off what you need to and be carefull. oh and the more you take off the less cushon(SP?) you get and the seat will get hard very quickly.

An electric turkey cutter works great. I just used a hacksaw blade and simulated the motion holding each side of the blade. A sur-form to smooth out all the rough edges and them a few different grades of sandpaper to finish smoothing. Use some 3M weatherproofer to seal the seat foam so no moisture/mildew gets in there..... let dry and put the cover back on.

Thats the quick lowdown on how to do it. Its really simple.

Eh, the blades on mine were more than likely too dull for the job. It was an old one and quit shortly afterward. :thumbsup:

I did, however, have fun remaking the seat if that counts for anything! :ride:

Actually, i used a butter knife when i shaved mine. But make sure you dont use the side with teeth or it will cut it too well.