Sign in to follow this  

being a good rider?

i was curious on what people thought on the matter, i've never motocrossed, competitively, but i'm 14 and might give it a try, i was wondering if i worked hard and practiced, if i could be a good rider i may not have loads of talent like some pros i would be willing to try so i am wondering is it possible to be ok and maybe even win a race once,(probly a low class, which i don't what that class would be maybe you you could give me the different classes, is C the lowest????) without loads of natural talent just hard work, and practice???

thanks

Motocross is not a natural talent kind of thing. Sure some people are okay when they start but anybody who is a good rider practices ALL the time. You could probably hope to win a C class race if you are getting out to the track and riding twice a week.

would i ever if i practiced move up above c class?

i don't hope to be a pro just acceptable, and competitive?

would i ever if i practiced move up above c class?

i don't hope to be a pro just acceptable, and competitive?

Sure you will. You'll know when it's time to move up, typically when you start to win at the level you are at.

thank you for the replies so quickly, i was wondering when you started racing you most likely werent clearing the giant tapletops and the triples, so what did you do to avoid being run over by the riders who are clearing everything?

C class is really quite slow, actually some places have the D class if you are just starting out. gotta admit though, that after gettin back into the game after 6 years off the B-class is REAL fast here in ohio. Top 5 b riders are usually running the same times as the A riders, but they are just young.

I know that around here the D (beginner) class is not allowed to jump any of the "big" jumps. It is a great class for the beginner rider. As far as advancing goes, it is all up to you, I would suggest taking a riding school if you ever have the chance. The more you practice the better you will become.

With persistence, patience and practice you CAN be a good rider. Natural talent will help in the beginning but a strong work ethic and dedication will get you a lot farther. I know a lot of guys who had gobs of natural talent that never made it to the pros because they lost interest, drive and what got them there in the first place, the love of riding. You can/will be as good as YOU want to be...

thank you for the replies, i think next summer i might give racing a go!

thanks again

yeah try and go to all the tracks practice days depending on the track they might have instructors to help.

See this is what I was talking about in my "jumping boring" thread. everyone says the C class is really slow and i noticed a couple were from alabama and ohio. they guys doing well in C class here ride 4-5 times every week, have a couple bikes, aftermarket suspension(at least), and have been riding 7-10 years. I know these people personally so its not out of my ass.

the thing is that here in ohio they are pretty good about advancing the faster riders. if you have ridden in the mini sr. class you automatically go to B class when you get a big bike. there's always a sandbagger or two in the C and B classes but that's normal.

do u guys have like A and then pro above that or like pro AM and pro and all that stuff? cuz we just have Beginner, novice, inter, pro. and theres no mini sr. theres age classes tho. and if u were age u cant be beginner i think. When Erv Braun came to AZ to do the Ameatur open he wanted to bump the top 10 novices to inter. and bump beginners too. i was like &%$#@!.

all I know is in my district if you Finnish first 3 times (I think in a row but maybe it is just 3 times period) you get bumped so sandbagging is minimal but I don't race my buddy does so I don't know the specifics of it yet but he has finished 1st the last 2 times

Great riders are not born, they are made. No on is born an expert rider, it takes hours and hours of riding to develop skills on a bike.

You dont have to do the big jumps to win. IMO, big jumps are mostly for show. Remember, when you are in the air you cant put the power to the ground. Its much better the double-single a triple than to try to clear the whole thing and end up crashing.

Work on your cornering. Theres a lot more time to be made up in the corners than there is over the jumps.

I suggest you just ride. Try to go a little faster and jump a little bigger each time you ride and before long you will be welcome, accepted and even respected at the local track. Racers are some of the coolest people you will ever meet.

Also, sometimes the AMA will bump you up to a higher class if you are doing well. Here in Wisconsin they have a rule where if you score a certain amount of points in a season they will bump you up to the next higher class next year. Ive seen it where a rider was blowing away everyone in the C class, so they bumped them up to B.

i have the same question as CR because i really want to get racing but i don't want to get hit by a rider who is jumping the giant doubles and i am just hitting the tiny singles (until i get a 125). so any advice on how not to get hit? at least until i get better?

Rm, If you you're going to roll over doubles, never do it in the middle, stay of to one side or the other. That will usually keep you out of trouble, or run a class where nobody can jump the doubles. Here at our local track, the guys in D class cannot double at all.

Rob

i have the same question as CR because i really want to get racing but i don't want to get hit by a rider who is jumping the giant doubles and i am just hitting the tiny singles (until i get a 125). so any advice on how not to get hit? at least until i get better?

easiest way is to do the double :thumbsup:.

Rob is in a sense correct, but dont ride the edge, you might bottle neck someone. ride in a straight form to the jump. If its a double, taple top, triple or quad that they are jumping, they will just jump beside you. dont zigzag around trying to get out of people's way, as you will end up on the way. Just hold your line, its the easiest and safest way around a track.

- Ken Roche

yeah try and go to all the tracks practice days depending on the track they might have instructors to help.

take this advice cuz hes a supecross star :thumbsup: it definatly good advice he races vintage class and 125q and q stands for queer and u better watch out for the next bubba named kxman and his other firend but w/e ride hard and practice if ya want u wont be a pro but maybe if u work rly rly hard be racing 125 b or maybe a but ask cr how the 125 b class cuz he is a rly fast rider in it :ride: