Sign in to follow this  

2002 CR 250 - Right for me?

So far all of my bikes have been four strokes, but now I'm looking into switching up a bit and getting a 2 stroke. I ride lots of technical trails, but also the occasional mx track. One of my reason for getting a two stroke would be to get away from the valves and maintenance side of the 4 strokes. I found a 2002 CR 250 for sale that is in my budget and really clean. Is there any flaws with this year? Being that I live in California, 2002 is the last year of green sticker which makes it all the more appealing to me. Does this bike fit my needs?

-Thanks

go for it. Alot of ppl will say the 02+ motors are junk on bottom end power , there not as they seem. I have an 02 awsome bike, good for trails too mx. :thumbsup:

By far the worst complaint is jetting. The TMX is quite sensitive to temp/altitude changes. One popular mod is to change over to a Keihin PWK carb :thumbsup: . Compared to a high RPM 4-stroke, these require very little in the way of routine, expensive maintenance.

By far the worst complaint is jetting. The TMX is quite sensitive to temp/altitude changes. One popular mod is to change over to a Keihin PWK carb :thumbsup: . Compared to a high RPM 4-stroke, these require very little in the way of routine, expensive maintenance.

Only thing I have not done too my 02. It's pretty crisp but I might try the 00 carb too c if it makes any difference.

Only thing I have not done too my 02. It's pretty crisp but I might try the 01 carb too c if it makes any difference.

you mean the 2000 carb. If you use the 01, its the same crappy carb

you mean the 2000 carb. If you use the 01, its the same crappy carb

yeah I meant 2000 carb lol :thumbsup:

So the first two mods should be a weighted flywheel (for more lowend), and a 2000 cr 250 carb? Is there any other flaws?

So the first two mods should be a weighted flywheel (for more lowend), and a 2000 cr 250 carb? Is there any other flaws?

I would say yes on the flywheel weight for a 1st mod but carb as a 2 no. I would ride it first as see how you like it then change somethings like gearing..

I would pass on the flywheel weight, but that is just me. Before i got my 2001 cr250 i planned on a flywheel weight as being my first mod also, but as i rode it i found no need for it. I think if your looking for more bottom end off the bat, try a different pipe like the fmf gnarly or fatty...

I don't think the flywheel weight will give you more low end as much as it will reduce stalling (if you have that problem), take the edge off any "hit" you may not like and make it easier to "tractor" through slow sections without the clutch.

As for flaws, there aren't many. The suspension is pretty good, even by today's standards (inexpensive '06 suspension parts are a fantastic upgrade :thumbsup: ), reliability is second to none, it feels light, handles great, brakes are more than adequate, shares plastic with the '06 so it can look brand new for cheap, parts are readily available...... All around fantastic package.

The suspension is pretty good, even by today's standards (inexpensive '06 suspension parts are a fantastic upgrade :thumbsup: ), reliability is second to none, it feels light, handles great, brakes are more than adequate, shares plastic with the '06 so it can look brand new for cheap, parts are readily available...... All around fantastic package.

I'm thinking along the same lines as forum33 and was looking at a . Can you elaborate briefly on the 06 suspension mods (will they work on 01 too)? Thanks.

The one thing I didn't see anyone mention is to make sure you keep the cables to the powervalve adjusted. They will loosen over time.

Other than that, go for it.

I'm thinking along the same lines as forum33 and was looking at a . Can you elaborate briefly on the 06 suspension mods (will they work on 01 too)? Thanks.

yeah i would like more info on that 2...

Can you elaborate briefly on the 06 suspension mods (will they work on 01 too)? Thanks.
In stock form, the forks on my '03 were fairly harsh over small impacts. I tried different oil amounts, clicker settings, etc., with no real improvement. Finally, I installed the fork bolt assemblies (part 15) from the '05-'06 CR with 400 cc oil. I must say that for my type of riding, the new parts were a fantastic improvement. Much more plush with excellent control. I contemplated doing the same with the shock (part 4), but decided to revalve it myself. Right now, I've got a hybrid '05 CRF250X/'05 CR250R valving setup, but it seems to be working for me. Unfortunately, I don't know whether the parts will install in an '01 suspension. Maybe kelstr or shockdoc will know.....

The only flaw with the 02 is the airbox seal. The first (and only) mod I'd say you need is an MX Bonz airbox kit...but you could probably get by without it if the previous owner didn't mess up the airbox boot screws. As somebody mentioned previously, keep an eye on the powervalve cable.

Everybody I know uses the stock carb on 01 and up CRs. I do as well. I tried the carb from my 00 cr on both my 01 and 02...the difference was less than impressive...hardly noticeable. Either way you need to be jetted right.

My friend has been riding on technical trails and racing harescrambles with his 02 CR for the past 4 years...he seems to like it.

In stock form, the forks on my '03 were fairly harsh over small impacts. I tried different oil amounts, clicker settings, etc., with no real improvement. Finally, I installed the fork bolt assemblies (part 15) from the '05-'06 CR with 400 cc oil. I must say that for my type of riding, the new parts were a fantastic improvement. Much more plush with excellent control. I contemplated doing the same with the shock (part 4), but decided to revalve it myself. Right now, I've got a hybrid '05 CRF250X/'05 CR250R valving setup, but it seems to be working for me. Unfortunately, I don't know whether the parts will install in an '01 suspension. Maybe kelstr or shockdoc will know.....

Thanks for taking the time for a great response. I'm contemplating buying a CR later this year. :thumbsup::applause::ride:

I am pretty sure the 03 and up compression assembly won't fit into the 01/02 forks because they went to a bigger diameter base valve in 03. I can look at this tomorrow if someone hasn't answered.

On the Service Honda fische site, the '02 - up CR forks are all in the same "group" which usually means that major components will interchange. I have no idea about the '01s...

The 01 and 02 have identical base valve assemblies (maybe a shim or two different but I don't have my chart in front of me). The 03 basevalve is several mms larger (32 compared to 22 I think). Since the basevalve seals into the damper tube with an o-ring, I suspect that the 03 and newer larger valves will not fit into 02 and prior damper tubes.

Since I have all 3 forks, I can verify this when I have a few minutes to pop the tops off and look/switch (hopefully tonight).