Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

michelin s-12 vs. pirelli mt 83 front tire

Recommended Posts

I've been running the s-12 front and love it in single track :ride: but we have lots of rocks here and after a number of rides the side lugs start to tear off or chunk. :applause: Anyone know if the mt 83 holds up any better? It's dot approved and I'm not sure if this means it has a stiffer sidewall or stronger lugs or more ply's. Anyone know? The tread pattern seems identical. I have tried the maxxis si , dunlop 756 , pirelli mt44, michelin m-12, But none of these seem to cross over very well to other trails when there is hardpacked greasy clay, and rocks . :thumbsup: Any comments or suggestion are welcomed, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MT83 is a great tire. My personal favorite on the front. Give one a try, You'll like it.

The reason the MT83 has a dot endorsement is because they spent the $ to have it tested and endorsed. A lot of other tires could get it if the manufacturers wanted to spend the $ to have it rated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In southern Indiana we have hard clay, rocks and even some sand. When its wet, its greasy on top and when its dry, it gets silty. And I haven't found a better tire than a Dunlop 952. It grips very well and has never chunked out. IMO, its the only tire to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the reply guys. How is the 952 in single track mud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with Dunlops is they stick OK but wear out fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 952 held up very well on my cr 500. I didnt really notice how the grip was since you dont need it on a 500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a similar problem when I go up north it is 90% sand some really deep and the other 10% is kinda hard pack with rocks in it most are rounded not razor sharp ones

and just about all the tracks around here are sand but I ride in my yard alot and it is hard pack obviously with grass so is the trail behind my house harp pack is the 952 that great or is the 756 a better tire or another brand maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a similar problem when I go up north it is 90% sand some really deep and the other 10% is kinda hard pack with rocks in it most are rounded not razor sharp ones

and just about all the tracks around here are sand but I ride in my yard alot and it is hard pack obviously with grass so is the trail behind my house harp pack is the 952 that great or is the 756 a better tire or another brand maybe

I like the 952 more then the 756. The 952 lastes longer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MT83 is a great tire. My personal favorite on the front. Give one a try, You'll like it.

The reason the MT83 has a dot endorsement is because they spent the $ to have it tested and endorsed. A lot of other tires could get it if the manufacturers wanted to spend the $ to have it rated.

Another vote for the Scorpion Pro MT83 ! If it isn't one of your favorite tires it is only because you haven't used one !

Dwight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×