Sign in to follow this  

Need help with TC450 oil filter

Hi,

I am part way through the first oil change on my new 2004 TC450. All was going well until I went to reinstall the forward left side filter, the one closest to the front of the bike.

Problem 1 - I didn't take care to note which way it goes. This is the long, skinny metal filter with a wide groove with holes at one end. The owner's manual shows it assembled groove side out. The parts manual shows it assembled groove side in. Aaarggh! Can someone please tell me which way is correct? I promise to pay more attention when removing the next two filters :thumbsup:

Problem 2 - the filter won't go in all the way, in either orientation. It goes in until it is flush with the case, then stops. It has to go in somewhat further, snce the cap bolt threads in behind it. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks for your help,

Gord

The non screen side goes in (the side with the holes), if that makes sense. As for the filter not going in, are you talking the oil filter or one of the sceens, if its one of the screens then you just have to play with it to get it all the way in, there is a lip inside that you need to get past to get the front screen back in, just wiggle it around. Also there is a small O-ring that goes in the front screen after the screen is in.

Thanks. A philips screw driver inside the metal screen let me wiggle it into place.

And whatever you do, dont force it. They will crumple easy. Ask me how I know :thumbsup:

Bill F of Bill's MC also recommends that you never use the center drain plug. Drain the oil from the left side screens, then after those are back in and properly torqued, lay the bike on its left side and change the oil filter. No mess and the filter spring will not try to leave the country while you're working.