Sign in to follow this  

2002 gas gas 300xc

hello i am looking at a 2002 gas gas 300xc is this bike light flywheeled and prone to stalling or will it chug along at low speeds like a ktm exc how is the top speed on these is the gearbox close or wide ratio are there any problems with these bikes does anyone have numbers on the hp these put out im assuming the same as the ktm thanks in advance for any replies i was also wondering how many miles yall get per tank and is it true these bikes lack the low end power the ktms are known for

When the gasgas 300 is set up right it typically has smoother and better quality power low-mid than a ktm.

With it jetted properly and with the squish on the cylinder head dial'ed in ($75 from RB-Designs) - it chugs better than anything out there with most folks referring to it as a 3 stroke. A friend of mine rode mine and called it a "300cc electric drill - power is very linear and strong.

There are three different flywheel weights available if you want to increase "chug".

Mine would easily do 50 miles on a tank. - never had to stretch it with the loops that I do...

The gearbox is a six speed wide ratio and is geared to go quite fast stock.

Peak HP is about the same as a ktm on top, but more linear off bottom through mid - so it delivers power to ground more efficiently.

jeff

GasGas Riders Club

www.gasgasrider.org

so really all these bikes need is the squish and to be modified and to have the flywheel weighted or is the flywheel even needed did these bikes come stock with a headlight and do u think 3000 is too much its got one leaky fork seal and i dont think anything else wrong with it

Heavier ignitions are desired by guys in tight NE or NW woods. For california - you are probably fine with the kokusan 2k-2 ignition that comes on the bike without a flywheel - depends on your personal preference. If you try to do really tight woods with it - you might want to add a flywheel. BTW, the ktm exc comes with the same ignition as the gasgas xc model - so whatever you are accustomed to in terms of flywheel effect relative to that will be similar.

As for the price - depends on condition, time on the bike, etc. Extras don't really add much to the value of the bike - but it is a consideration. The forks probably need to be serviced anyways... I would knock the price of the fork service (plus a revalve) off the price of the bike. LT-Racing is the place to send gasgas suspension.

jeff

GasGas Rider's Club

www.gasgasrider.org

squish? i have a gg 125 and 200 xc's. that's the first i've heard of the head squish business. does it apply to the other displacements and could you explain. thanks, mikey

I've ridden GG since '01 and never changed anything other than light jetting change and reshim/spring my suspension. Not bad, raced 2 circuits last year and was 1st and 3rd in both on a basicly stock bike. If I were a AA rider I'm sure I would feel different on "modding" the bike.