Sign in to follow this  

Trail Rider Lookin to Buy..

I am currently in the market for a new bike and i have been leaning heavily towards the YZ450F. However, i do a LOT of trail riding in nevada and also soem track riding. My main concern is that older motocross bikes used to over heat on long trail rides, but then again, they were primarily 2-stroke.

My question is this, will the YZ be prone to overheat being that it is a MX bike? Is it watercooled?

I know my 426 does not like to go slow...Gotta keep the air flowing...

The modern day four stroke motocross bike will overheat pretty easy. This is one of the main reasons that when I got a new bike last week, I bought an 06 yz 250 two stroke. Like you, I ride track and trails so I wanted something that was good for both. This bike is it.

I have a WR450, its great. Heavy, but great. I never have a problem with it overheating and I ride in the Mojave desert in California. I have never taken it to a track though.

for the yz450, you could always get larger radiators and add a coolant recovery tank. It is water cooled. But the gearing might not be to your liking. Whenever I ride a friends MX bike on the trail, I find myself shifting more often.

but then again, I am only moderately agressive and maybe I don't ride the mx bikes like they should be ridden. But... I can cruise trails all day long at a really good pace on my wr450.

I ride mostly off-road with my YZ 450-a lot in Northern Nevada and wouldn't have a different bike. It's light, powerful and handles great. I also ride a lot of tight, 1st gear only single track. One ride, my friends older WR was overheating and the YZ was not. Go with it! You won't be sorry. :thumbsup:

I have a YZ450f that I have trail ridden and it did alright. I must say though that the biggest trail rides I have been on with it were about 20 miles in a state park (so not a long ride). The bike never overheated despite going slower for the little kids in front of the group. I have however overheated the bike on a track... I guess I just ride it alot harder on the track that I did on the trails.

I do think though that a fourstroke makes a better trail bike. Maybe not on the pro level, but I know I like to have the smooth riding style and ability to lug the bike through anything.

The 450's do a lot of overheating. I overheated my crf450 in the trails once, then again i race A class hairscrambles so i was moving pretty quickly. I think you should consider the WR model or a CRFX, heck, the XR400s are damn quick as well, and they never overheat.