Sign in to follow this  

tall guys

alright, i took about 6 years off from riding and have grown quite a bit. i last raced 80's and now am running a 250F. i'm doin pretty well everywhere on the track but in the corners. i love deep clay ruts and can rail through those, but anything loamy or flat just kills me. i've heard about getting a taller seat, i'm 6'3" and just kind of feel big on the bike. i need to buy some knee braces, i remember how much they helped with gripping the bike when i was racing before. i'm completely comfortable jumping everything and skimming the whoops, but i just cant get my cornering down, i was washing the front out and now i've fixed that, but find myself carrying little to no entrance speed into the corner which makes me park it and shoot out which is way slow.

very tricky scenario. Flat corners require you to really weight the outside footpeg. I mean really push down hard on the thing, almost like your standing on it. This will give you traction. On flat corners it is also very beneficial to slide out your rear end to get your angle cut off quicker. It may almost take you to a complete stop, but you will have a straighter, faster and more direct route.

alrite, let's bring this one back. I've got my cornering down pretty well, but i still feel huge on this thing. does anyone run extra tall bars or bar spacers? i'm gripping with my knees really well now, but i think i still need a taller seat for when i'm standing up, i have to stay crouched down to grip.

here's a pic of a landing, i look all hunched over. Also over some jumps i'll run nose high, and no one else will, i was thinking it was do to my bars being to low.

db.jpg

im 6"1 and run Pro Taper CR high bend with Fly Racing 10mm bar raisers.:thumbsup:

where'd you get the risers at? i'm tryin to find them to no avail.

Here's what I use : Tusk Universal Bar Risers The kit comes with several different spacers that let you adjust to suit your needs . I'm 6'6" , so the stock bars just weren't cutting it . It's a long way for me to stand up .:devil:

Thanks, I couldn't find them either.

im 6"1 and run Pro Taper CR high bend with Fly Racing 10mm bar raisers.:thumbsup:

I'm 6' 1" as well, so 10 mm has worked best for you? I'll have to try that.

Its kinda funny, At a lanky 6'4" I really don't feel big on the bike, but when I look at pics of my self (Especially when I ride 250's) The bikes look like mini-bikes. My racing buds would allways raz me about that when I race a 250f. The most comfy bike I own is a 83 cr 480, its Man sized!! But my 07 crf 450 feels really good all stock......

Call Thumper racing. They have some huge bar risers that will get your bars up and forward. I'm 6'4" and they have made my bike feel perfect for me. They don't have them on their website or catalog, you have to actually call them to order them. They are about $100.

I am 6-3. I have CR high bend bars and a tall seat. Seems to make the bike fit better. I don't get as tired from sitting and standing....since it is a shorter distance to travel! Good luck!

i have always felt really tall on bikes, im 6'4" and weigh 180, and all i do is just angle my bars a little forward, and always run pro taper contour cr high bend bars, they are the tallest you can buy without risers

I kept waiting to see if my boy would chime in, but since he hasn't I'll say it. He's almost 6'6' and rides the YZ450F now. He has the Windam high bend bars and the fastway foot pegs lowering them. That makes the bike a whole lot more comfortable for him. He hasn't added any riser yet, he's was thinking about it but says it feels good as is. He used to ride the 250 and looked much the way you do. But a few changes and he's happily riding again. That changed his whole riding style because he's able to make the transition between sitting and standing easier.

i have always felt really tall on bikes, im 6'4" and weigh 180, and all i do is just angle my bars a little forward, and always run pro taper contour cr high bend bars, they are the tallest you can buy without risers

There are taller bars than the CR high (95mm), Windham bend (99mm), KX high (108mm), Pastrana fmx (121mm).

I am on a 2006 yz250f and the Windham bars did help but still looking to lower the pegs and try spacing the clamps to fit me better (I'm 6'2").

I havn't been able to find any type of bar risers that are for the 1 1/8 bars....They are all for 7/8 bars:excuseme:

6'3" here and this is my setup. I have Applied triple clamps (decent not the best) with 10mm farther forward mounts plus ACN 20mm riser mounts with Windham ProTapers. I was running the Fastway Lowboy pegs but they aren't too durable. Plus my feet touch the gound sometimes and the pegs sometimes scrape on deep ruts slowing me down. I don't use a tall seat because i like to stay close to the ground. The bars, mounts and triple clamps make all the difference for me. I ride a YZ250.

If your front end comes up alot and you are using proper form taking off, look into your suspension. If the rebound is too slow front or back it may be unbalanced taking off. I know I've forgot to change my settings from trail to track and had some scary moments off some jumps.

im between 5'11- and 6' and roughly 150 lbs, and i use azonic over sized 1 " bar risers and renthal high bend twin walls, and i can stand straight up and have bars meet me no problem, there even a bit high for me at times. but works awsome for jumping and whoops. i picked up the azonic risers for $25 and they were worth every penny!

Im 6'5. I run pro taper P3 triple clamp with the optional 55MM 1 1/8th inch risers. I also run a tall seat and lower pegs.

The triple clamp allows the bars to move forward as well.

Here is a link to the clamp kit

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p2=&s=2&p=411

Risers at the bottom of the page:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p2=&s=2&p=413

Yes I still look like an Oger on my bike.

Being 6'9" I probably shouldn't even participate in this sport. At the recs of some other guys, I bought the Pastrana FMX (the tallest bar I could find) and put some Moose Racing 50MM risers under them. I just put them on yesterday, hope to see how I like it on Saturday. It definitely feels better in the garage. We'll see about on the trail.

I think the fastboy pegs are in my future.

I am 6'4", Pro Taper Windham bar, Tag Matrix top clamp, tall/soft seat, and last but NOT least, Fastway lowboy pegs.