Sign in to follow this  

250 EXC powervalve

I recently purchaced a 2001 250EXC and was wondering about the powervalve. Is it adjustable? Also, how often should it be cleaned and is there anything special about settings? As for the gaskets, are they reusable or is there a kit to replace them? Will RVT silicone work? The bike runs excellent, and I'd like to keep it that way. :thumbsup: Thanks,

Mike

Clean the power valve every time you put a new piston in, otherwise, I would leave it alone. There is an adjustment on the right side of the engine case that will change the RPM at which the valve will open at. Turn it clockwise to add spring pressure and delay its opening until higher in the rpm's, counter clockwise is lower in the rpm's. As far as sealants, use a high temp silicone gasket maker for the clam shell face and there are 4 little o rings that should be replaced. There are also some o rings on the power valve shaft that should be replaced. There are some demensions that need to be followed very carefully when re-installing the power valve as the valve, if set up wrong can interefer with the piston and cause damage to both the valve and piston. Thay are called the x and Z demension. Dont be afraid of this as it is easy to set once you have the manual in front of you as a refrence. If you dont know how long its been since a new piston, you may want to tear it all down and freshen the top. If its running good, you may want to just ride and enjoy. Good luck. Thats a great bike, one of my favorites!

Thank you for the info mallardchaser. It doesn't sound like to bad of a job. I've done them before on a few other bikes and quads so I have a little experience. Even though my bike is a 2001, the person that owned it before me hardly rode the bike. Looks like I'll be able to ride it for a while before it needs any work. I may mess with the PV adjustment just to see how it work, but so far, the bike runs awesome. Thanks again.

Mike