Sign in to follow this  

gasgas fse 450 gearing

i recently bought a '05 brand new fse450. love this bike. the efi is awsome.

i want to know if any of u other owners have changed your gearing for rough, rocky, steep single track. seems first gear might be a tad too high.

maybe go one or two teeth less on the counter sprocket. any suggestions would be great. oh, and sorry for not capitalising. i'm day six in post rotator cuffand carpal tunnel surgery. can't raise my right arm yet on it's own.

i sure hope our 4 stroke gas gas population grows, 'cause it has been a bear getting good info. on this bike. but what an easy bike to ride.... and the throttle response... wow... i've got a friend who has an 'o5 ktm 450exc and we road some single track the evening before my surgery. afterwards we traded bikes and did a little more trail. he couldn't believe how quick my bike was compared to his and how much better the suspension was.

they're both great bikes and i was torn between the two when i finally decided the efi and no more jetting problems or elevation problems and the rear linkage and lower price was worth the chance of not getting all the technical support and endless supplies of aftermarket parts etc. that ktm get's. we are headed that way though i am confident... thanks for letting me ramble on guy's. bob

Although we dont gear them down, the bikes are wonderful. There is more aftermarket than we all know about, it just takes research. Trust me i know.

I did notice first gear was a tad high in really tight technical stuff so I went one tooth down on the front, brought it in perfectly without noticing any changes with the other gears. I'm not surprised you like your GG so much. I've had mine for over a year and it still amazes me with it's performance and reliability. A riding buddy rode my bike for the first time and within two weeks he sold his KTM300 and bought an '05 GasGas DE300,another guy who rode mine within a month sold his KTM525 and bought two '05 GG450's, one for his house in Co. and the other one for his Texas house and another riding buddy who needs a new bike next year is giving the GG450 a serious look. Everyone who rides it really likes it and the ones who say it doesn't have enough power are always behind me. It's a very underrated bike which is to bad. I installed a Dunlop rear trials tire recently and a Rekluse clutch which isn't in yet. I could still easily live with the slipper clutch but I've been wanting an auto clutch for a while. If you have anymore questions PM me.

hello nick. if this is u, gas gas had me call ya about a skid plate u found in australia i think. have u had ant luck getting some more in?

and thankls for the advice on bending the brake line down. i did that then wrapped that whole portion og line/metal with heat tape and zip ties. works great. i haven't purchased that napa ar614 fuel pump part yet. not sure exactly what it looks like or where it's located. i thought my fan had quit working, but is just real quiet. seems the fmf pipe gives me a bit more go too, with a nice meaty sound at 96 or lower db's.

and thanks gilkerson for your offer. ithink the one tooth lower might be just right. is recluse the only and best choice for an auto clutch for the 450 gg?

i'm really impressed with our hydrolic clutch for '05. makes life so much easier on the steep loose stuff. pinky finger pull.

also i bought thr one set of ltr gmp radiator rod/guard and installed them on bottom of radiator's. looks like i can get one more set and cut the shroud tit's back a little mount into top of radiator's. these go thru radiator and into bike frame, making for solid protection. my clark 2.8 tank doesn't allow those tit's to insert into radiator recepticles any more anyway. if ther is better protection to be had please let me know. thanks bob

Skid plates are currently on there way here. The Napa AR614 is a relay that is behind the right side number plate. Go buy 2 of them, pull the #plate and you will see them there. Replace them now as they will fail, its just a matter of time. If you are riding and the fuel pump quits you can switch the relays and do without the fan to get home. The Rekluse is probably the only option for an auto clutch but there may be others. To put the Rekluse in your 450 you will need a 2stroke center clutch hub and drive plates. The fibers will work.