Sign in to follow this  

The DR200SE...

Hey everyone, im new to the forum and looking for some info. Im a new rider, fresh out of the MSF course and looking at getting a first bike soon. Im looking to get a starter bike in the $3-4k range and have been looking at both 250cc cruisers and some dual sports...particularly the DR200SE, and maybe to a lesser extent the Yamaha TW200.

Probably 80% of my riding would be on the street around town and such. Since its my first bike im not really looking for something to cruise on the highway with...but id like to leave open the option of taking a short highway run if desired. Like at 60-65mph. Is the DR200 capable of reaching these cruising speeds? I am about 5'10, 150 pounds if it makes a difference.

I didn't know that they made a 200SE, it looks like a neat bike, I might consider one for this winter, Thanks!

I don't think that you should limit yourself to a small bike just because your new. Remember riding is mostly mental, know your limits and ride within them. Keep going over the book from your course and applying what you read, then check out other advice, for example Gary Semics has a good book for off road, David Hough for on road. Hope to see you out there someday. HTH.

Gary

Good advice from Montana. My wife has a DR200SE and I have a 650SE. Because both she and the bike weigh so much less than me and mine, I have a hard time keeping up with her around town. That's also because I don't rush the event. She just zips around all the time... and while I like the occasional romp, I don't zip continuously. My point is that the 200 is a great bike in town and gets about 80 mpg. But when you get it on the highway, it feels like you're riding a bicycle, and the engine sounds like its wound out at 55 mph. I don't even think it will go 65 mph. 60 is pushing it. It's just not made for highways. I'm 5'8" and 155#, and took to the lowered DR650SE like a duck to water. Don't worry about the cc's.... get the big one. :thumbsup:

well, id love to get a dr650 or drz400 but unfortunatly they are both a bit outside my price range. Maybe if im lucky I can find a used one for around $3-4k, but used dual sports are really tough to find around this area.

What if I maybe went with a bigger front sprocket? Would 60-65mph be theoretically possible then?

A dealer told me the other day that motorcycles less than 200cc's are not allowed (by law I assumed) to go on the freeway. I live in the Phoenix area, and there are many freeways which you almost have to drive on if you want to get anywhere. However, if you live in a more rural area and there are just "highways", then maybe the smaller bikes could run on them. Of course, dealers aren't always the best source for information...at least true information.

I was also considering getting a DR200...but decided to fix up my 650 and keep it instead. The 200 is just so small, and my 650 is a really nice, FUN, bike. It has taken awhile for me to feel comfortable with my 650 off road, but keep it easy at first and don't go beyond your limits. Sticking with my 650 just gives me so many more options.

I just bought my wife a dr200 while in South Dakota. It's a great bike for around town, trail riding and a short freeway romp. I don't think you can go wrong with one. :thumbsup:

My wife rides a DR200 to work occassionally on the interstate. It will do 60mph, she has even had it up to 70. But the bike isn't really made for long highway rides. If you plan on doing any highway riding I would look towards the DRZ400 or the 650. If your going to be doing much more highway riding than dirt riding I would recommend the 650, it does really well on the highway. :thumbsup: