Sign in to follow this  

Hanging Idle after Re-jet

I was hoping for a bit of help. I recently bought a 2002 DRZ400E, nearly new. It was stock when I bought it. Purchased from a guy who never rode it, so the carb was gunked up, pilot jet was plugged. Anyway, did the following

Pulled Snorkle

Cleaned Carb

JD Jet Kit

148 Main

Blue needle clip position #3 from top

45 Pilot (stock)

Extended Fuel Screw 2 turns out

Jetting is Eddie's recomendation for my altitude - 7300'

After I got it back together, bike fired right up. Runs good, slight bog off idle. When warm, idle hangs, but will eventually settle down after 30 or more seconds. If I blip the throttle, idle hangs high again. When the idle is hanging, if I pull the choke momentarily, out and in real quick, idle settles down to normal.

Any ideas? Could this be an air leak? I've checked to make sure throttle cables aren't hanging.

I started with the fuel screw at two turns out. I gradually screwed it in, until it was pretty much closed. Still had a hanging idle. I'm a bit confused, does turning the fuel screw in restrict fuel flow, i.e. making for a leaner condition?

I searched more after I posted this, and it seems that commonly a hanging idle is caused by a lean condition. If this is the case, shouldn't I be turning the fuel screw out more?

I've got the same problem, but the idle settles after about 10 seconds. Any help anyone?

Yeah, it seems clear now, but last night at 10PM I thought myself into a corner. :thumbsup: So I have to go richer on the fuel screw. Does it seem a bit odd that at my altitude I'm on a 45 pilot and having to go 2.5 turns out?

In any case, I'll try this tonight. Thanks.

Okay, went to 2.5 turns out, better, but still hanging. Worked my way out to 3 turns, and it's idling almost perfect. Had to mess witht he idle screw a bit, but no big thing. Hopefully that will do it, as I guess I don't really have much adjustment left on the screw. Should I go to a slightly bigger pilot jet next time I have the carb out? I'm thinking with colder weather I could end up lean again.

Another case of hanging idle caused by lean at idle solved. :thumbsup: