Sign in to follow this  

'04 CRF 250 - 1st ride report

Well,

I'm coming off an '06 rmz 450 and just thought I'd share.

Sunday Nocona MX in North Texas. Best dirt in Texas is their slogan, it's no joke either. Beautiful loam alway tilled and watered to perfection.

My plan was to do 2 laps pit and play with suspension settings, then repeat over and over until I got the bike where I felt comfortable on it.

Lap 1 - OK I know it is a 250f in loam, but it didn't pull quite as well as I thought it would and that might just be a good thing. MAN OH MAN, will this bike rail the corners. I've only been riding 3 years and I could lay this bike over better than any bike I've ever been on. I love it.

Lap 2 - Coming out of a bermed right hander lies a small table (20-30'?) with nice landing that I rolled the first lap. Since I getting so comfy on the bike in the corners I decide to go ahead and hit the table and roll the double after. So I throttle, clucth a little, lay the bike over in the turn (did I mention how easy this bike is for me to turn, I friggin love it) and hit the lip.

Ever have one of those slowmo "OH S@@T moments?" Well, this was one of them. While in the air I look down and realize I'm going to fly the landing and might even case the lip of the next double. Thank GOD I didn't. I flat landed between the two and I mean hard. The suspension bottomed out first, then I bottomed. Rebound threw me off like I was on a bull that just got kicked in the dingdong.

On the ground I immediatedly licked my teeth to make sure they were all accounted for. Picked up the bike, still running, and started back to the truck when I realized my chin was wet. I look down to see my shirt bloody as well as my tank. In short, my buds helped me load up (Thanks Guys!), went home unloaded, then to the hospital to get seven stiches in my chin. So much for dialing in the suspension that day.

Moral of the story, for me anyway, the CRF250 lays down the ponies pretty darn well even if it doesn't feel like it.

Thought you guys might enjoy.

Cheers,

RLFHOUSE

When my 250f sells I think I'm buying one of these... Will titanium valves solve the reliability problems?

When my 250f sells I think I'm buying one of these... Will titanium valves solve the reliability problems?

I believe stock valves are ti. I researched here (TT) and a couple of other places before I got the bike. The best I can tell is if you do regular maintenance and generally take care of your ride (not ride on the rev limiter all day, etc.) this is a pretty good bike. I don't think the CRF250 is like the RMZ/KXF 250s at all. If you're the type that doesn't do reg. mant. I would advise a 450 or two smoker.

Bottom line is it seems like all 250fs have to have a little more attention paid to them then the 450s or 2smokers. Higher rev.s plus more moving parts =s the higher the chance of wear items, well, wearing out.

Good Luck!