Sign in to follow this  

Where to get gps maps.

I just got my Garmin Vista and to my surprise there are no maps on it. I thought that it was going to be ready to go but apparently I have to manually download all the info onto the unit.

Can anyone give me a good site to download maps from. Im new at this and was wondering exactly how much of a map can be stored in this 32mb card. Also is it expensive to get a detailed map of the U.S. (like my Streets and trips cd has)?

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe you can purchase and download maps from Garmin's website. Otherwise most sporting goods stores or electronics stores should also have them on disc. I have a Magellan explorist 400 and i had to pay $150 for topo maps.

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

I have a Magellan explorist 400 and i had to pay $150 for topo maps.

:ride::applause::applause:

I just bought an Explorist 400 at Academy. It was the "Wilderness Pack", or something to that effect. The set came with the GPS, 32 meg SD card, Mapsend Topo 3D software, and a USB data cable/charger for $199.

It is a cool little GPS unit. :thumbsup:

Here is another site that I used. They have some good prices on the gps units and it seems like the software is a few bucks less. I have both the Garmin topo and city nav v8.0. I used the topo maps first and it did nothing for me with finding my way around on the streets or FS roads but after loading the Nav v8.0 now it seems like the gps is doing what I wanted it to do. I have the E-trex Vista cx with the 256 memory card so I have no issues with memory. Keep in mind I am a gps NOOB so I may not be down loading the topo information correctly or reading it correctly. After I have a little more time under my belt I will revisit the topo map stuff.

Linky

I read on a post a while back about a website where members share GPS coordinates and routes, ect... I've been trying to google it w/ no luck. Does anyone know what site I'm talking about?

Here is another site that I used. They have some good prices on the gps units and it seems like the software is a few bucks less. I have both the Garmin topo and city nav v8.0. I used the topo maps first and it did nothing for me with finding my way around on the streets or FS roads but after loading the Nav v8.0 now it seems like the gps is doing what I wanted it to do. I have the E-trex Vista cx with the 256 memory card so I have no issues with memory. Keep in mind I am a gps NOOB so I may not be down loading the topo information correctly or reading it correctly. After I have a little more time under my belt I will revisit the topo map stuff.

Linky

I have the same gps and maps as you do, but i'm sort-of the other way around when it comes to the maps... I find the topo much more useful that the city nav software. Its partly because I spend most on my time around rivers and lakes and the topo maps shows water more accurately than the city streets. I'm also I pretty big camper and backpacker, so the topo comes more natural for me i guess. There are times when both are nice, however.

I read on a post a while back about a website where members share GPS coordinates and routes, ect... I've been trying to google it w/ no luck. Does anyone know what site I'm talking about?

Maybe this is the one you mean?

GPS Xchange

Haven't tried this one, but it looks interesting :thumbsup:

Trek now

It says here that the City nav v8 for North America is 1634mb total. So If I wanted to go on a cross country trip and take the entire us map I would need 7 256mb cards. Thats $100 for the map and roughly $100 each for the cards.

$800!!!!!!!!!

If I knew that I wouldnt have bought this thing. Including the unit thats a thousand dollar map.

Please correct me if Im wrong. And I hope I am.

If you want to share Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks you can save your MapSource data from your GPS into a .MPS file. As long as your friend has a Garmin Device you and he can use MapSource to share information. Other wise there are a few good programs to use to transfer Waypoints into a .GPX file. A good site to learn all things GPS is here

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

dan

It says here that the City nav v8 for North America is 1634mb total. So If I wanted to go on a cross country trip and take the entire us map I would need 7 256mb cards. Thats $100 for the map and roughly $100 each for the cards.

$800!!!!!!!!!

If I knew that I wouldnt have bought this thing. Including the unit thats a thousand dollar map.

I believe that is pretty much correct.

With my Garmin Quest I can download portions of the main map from the computer into the GPS so only the main cities I am driving through have the detailed map. This way you don't need to take up so much memory.

Al E

$800!!!!!!!!!

Are you driving to Alaska and Hawaii on that cross country trip? Personally i'd never use the whole map, or even 10% at any given time. I've driven 1000 mile trips and put the maps in mine that cover the interstates the whole way there and my gps only has 24mb. If your driving across a state, just download the maps that cover your route aross the state, atleast in cases you don't need the entire state... thats what I do.

I think Im gonna get the City nav v8 for North America.

The city nav package is great. I got the whole kit with the car accessories for a great deal. I also have the topo maps, but they lack the detail that I desire. On a side note, if I were kalabula and looking to spend 800 on flash memory cards. I would rather spend half that on a low end laptop and reload maps when needed, just a thought.

HH

$800!!!!!!!!!

I dont think you understand how it works. you load that gig and a half size program onto your computer. You do the editing and mark waypoints on your comtuter then upload it to your GPS via usb hooked into your computer. Thats how I do it anyway and I have a puney 256 card and I have several routes on it now as well as all my saved stuff. Hope this helps.

Linky

This is a good retail site for gps units. Lots of info. I bought the city nav v8. Thanks for all the help.

the vista comes with a base map. maybe its turned off.

Yea I read that when I bought mine and the base maps must tell you that you are standing on the earth some place and that seemed like the only information. When it showed up and I was trying to use the "base maps" and it was useless. It needs additional software.

Remember I am a GPS NOOB so I could be wrong.