Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 450 to RMZ 250???

I have a 05 RMZ450 with RG3 suspension, I love the bike but its big and heavy and wears me out fast. They are weapons in the right hands, but in an unfit hitting 30 years old weekend warrior now, its killing me.

I was thinkning of going for an 07 RMZ250. I dont care taking a drop in power if I can throw a 250f round like a 125 two stroke and ring the crap out of it.

I have never ridden a 250f, have only ever ridden RM250x3 two strokes and RMZ450

So good idea....... or dumb idea and harden up lol......... :thumbsup:

I want a 450F, 250F, 250 two stroke, and a 125 two stroke. But, my garage only has room for one bike. For me the 250F is the best compromise but not without some work. I have a big bore kit and all the other bolt on goodies that make a good running stock bike run fantastic. Not only do they take less energy to ride but for me I went from about five good crashes a year to one...

So true, when a 450 gets out of shape it takes alot of strength to pull it back, I remember the 125 days and just keeping it pinned and it all worked it self out with little effort.

With some mods you can make the 250f's keep up with the 450's. It is so much easier to handle the 250f. I ride in the Vet classes, and most of those guys are on 450's. I make up my time by handling and not wearing out throwing a 450 around. Gotta love the raw power of a 450 though!

Why don't you get an RM 250? I am 6-4, 235lbs. without gear, and I STIILL get holeshots. Many times I am the only 2 stroke on the gate! Lighter, quicker and it sounds cool when you pass a four stroke. You will give up torque, but it may be worth giving it a shot. Really, the only 2 strokes you see anymore are in the Vet classes. I think there is a reason for that. (Old, tired, slow, scared-take your pick of the reasons) Or maybe it's just the bikes everyone grew up on.

I have an 04 RMZ 250 and I love it. I have ridden my friends CRF450 and had the same problem with being worn out. I also just recently sold my 04' RM250 2 smoker for the same reason. Yes, a 250 2 stroke is lighter, but you need to work harder to get it to keep up with the 4 strokes. Unless you are light weight and quick around the corners, you are out of luck with a two stroke. Especially now that the tracks have changed aswell...I remember when ruts werent as bad, and acceleration bumps never chattered so bad. On a two stroke, unless very experienced its tough on the body. I bought my rmz250 and I love it. No, its not a 125. It is light, and feels pretty nimble, but nowhere near a flickable 125. But the power is sufficient, a lot less energy to ride and its a blast. I would highly reccomend a 250F over a 450 unless you are Ricky or James, a 250F has more than enough power for you. Its not the bike that makes the rider go fast. I read an article in dirt rider about a guy who raced ryan hughes at glen helen, they started both on 450's and worked Ryan down, while the other guy stayed on his modified RMZ450. Ryan hughes beat this guy every time (including pulling the holeshot on a 125 2 stroke). He beat him on a 450, 250, 250F, 125 and an 85. So that proves right there that the bike means nothing. Go with a 250F...you wont be dissapointed.

Why don't you get an RM 250? I am 6-4, 235lbs. without gear, and I STIILL get holeshots. Many times I am the only 2 stroke on the gate! Lighter, quicker and it sounds cool when you pass a four stroke. You will give up torque, but it may be worth giving it a shot. QUOTE]

I have had 3 RM250s, awesome bikes, my favourite smokers out of all the brands. Ive had a 95, 02 and 03.

I just wanna try something different I guess.

i just sold my 06 rmz 450 and bought an 05 crf 250 and can say i made the right move.i am having a blast on this bike.i think you would be happy if you made the switch.i will prolly be going back to suzuki next year when the prices go down on the 07 rmz 250's.

I switched from a 450 to 250F and I really missed the power(not that I could use it all). But, I had to rev the 250F and shift more to keep up my speed and clear the jumps. The 450's seem like less work to me because you can lug them through the corners in 3rd with plenty of torque to clear the upcoming obstacles.

I'm now on a 06 yz450f and lovin it. It doesn't handle like the 250F's but it's pretty damn close. Stick with the 450 :thumbsup: .... by the way, I'm in my late 30's.

I had the problem a month ago, but i went with The Honda's. I was racing district 7 race at Wolfmann's and the main straight the 450 walked away from me on a 250f and the start they killed me. This was the first time that happened before i thought the 250 would be fine. The dirt was loose on the start the 250f showed the power difference. The main straight broke my heart we were side by side and the pulled several bikes on me. The 250f had to go. It sounds like there are a few district 7 vet riders on here

If you are going to go down to a 250 then there is only one bike to go with. Get an 06 CRF 250 or an 05. I owned an 05 RMZ-250 before my honda and dont get me wrong, it was great. But slow compared to my honda. My honda handles, corners, revs out more, better throttle response, better quality built, better trany, and the suspension is UNBEATABLE. A 250 will make you work harder, which wil amke you a better rider. The 450 makes you get lazy. But if do get our of shape on a 450 your pretty much screwed. The RMZ 250 is a serious disadvantage. I race against an 06 in my class that has a full pro circuit system, and port and polished motor and my bike is dead stock. I can smoke him everywhere. If you go a with a 250f. Go with Honda