02 JD CDI or 06 oem CDI

What do you think would be a better upgrade for an 02. A used 02 JD ignition or an 06 OEM ignition. I realize an harness upgrade is required for the 06 honda part.

I've got the JD CDI on my '03 and it definitely revs quicker...I couldn't tell you if the '06 is any different since I havent' tried it. RB and a couple others really liked the 250's CDI on the 450. I guess it all depends on how much you can find any of the above for, they might all give you the same result or pretty close anyway ?

05-06 crf250R oem CDI or a aftermarket high performance CDI (rev box) for the same bike! This is my opinion based on other peoples reviews of switching to many different CDIs.

I will have my Procom 06 CRF250R CDI for my 02 CRF450R on Friday (and 04 wire harness), I'll let you know how much better it is than the factory 02 CDI, but I won't be able to compare it to the oem 06 CDI since I don't have one.

i can say that i have had more than afew failures with the jd ignition stuff,

Mitch payton at pc has had lots of failures also with jd and is discontinuing use as soon as the contract is out, ( it kills him that the adds are still out in the mags )

all the teams and pc are now using Vortex Ignition and have been for quite some time ---the Tokyo mod box is a vortex box ,

Mike Tolle at MT Racing is the distributor and he is a good guy to work with,

these boxes really do work ---you can burn all your own curves or just use the 10 maps that it comes with------

but yes the stock 06 honda box would be lots better than the 02 jd ,

and if you could get an 05 or 06 cam for that 02 and install a 13.5 je you would have a nice little motor !

i can say that i have had more than afew failures with the jd ignition stuff,

Mitch payton at pc has had lots of failures also with jd and is discontinuing use as soon as the contract is out, ( it kills him that the adds are still out in the mags )

all the teams and pc are now using Vortex Ignition and have been for quite some time ---the Tokyo mod box is a vortex box ,

Mike Tolle at MT Racing is the distributor and he is a good guy to work with,

these boxes really do work ---you can burn all your own curves or just use the 10 maps that it comes with------

but yes the stock 06 honda box would be lots better than the 02 jd ,

and if you could get an 05 or 06 cam for that 02 and install a 13.5 je you would have a nice little motor !

Kelstr, I've had my JD ignition for a couple years now with no problems thus far ? The only thing I did have to do is put a zip ty underneath it so that it would not keep slipping out of the rubber mounts that the CDI sits in, maybe that is part of the reason for those that have failures? :ride:

Would it be better to get a hotcams stage 1 instead of the 05 or 06 cam for a 02 crf450R ?

no , the 05 or 06 stock cam with the 13.5 je with correct jetting and a good pipe will make you more than happy ,

if it were mine this is where i would go first,

then some 20mm offset clamps ?

Kelstr, I've had my JD ignition for a couple years now with no problems thus far :applause: The only thing I did have to do is put a zip ty underneath it so that it would not keep slipping out of the rubber mounts that the CDI sits in, maybe that is part of the reason for those that have failures? :applause:

well what happens to these is they will get week and almost wont start and or just quit when hot ,

all of the ones i have seen were secured fine they just developed a problem inside,

i still have 2 of them that work fine also ,--it seemed to be the later boxes that were failing ---ones on the 05 06 were the bad ones .

pc had one hell of a time with the later ones :applause:

i have 2 of that same box you have and they have tons of time on them and they still work great ?

the curve is alittle lazy but some of those can be remapped,---one of mine has 3 degreese more lead initial and about 2 degreese more lead in the mid and about 3 more lead on top and it can rev to 13.5 and it works good,

you can also use an offset keyway and move you flywheel and kinda do the same thing .

but the 05 06 stock box has a better curve for working with the 05 06 cam and they do work and run cleaner and pull better ---

its is subtle but you can generally get better jetting with the newer stuff.

i have not checked the 07 yet but man that thing seems to really be crisp and just responds well to jetting and has a real good feel to it :ride: