Sign in to follow this  

Should I shim exhaust valves?

I know this is beat to death, and I've read all the strings I could find with the search. But, since I'm new to valves (first thumper), I though I should ask before proceeding.

My intake valves are in spec. (.005), but the exhaust valves are out of spec.. Left .008, right .009 (s/b .010 - .012)

Is this close enough if they are not moving? Might be a dumb question, but when my dealer checked them this spring he said they were a 'little tight' and that was OK.

Looks pretty easy to shin just the exhaust side, should I just do it or not fix what's not broken. Bike seems to run fine. :thumbsup:

shim them. The reason why the exhaust valves have a higher clearance then the exhaust is because they need to seat fully to cool off. The fraction of a second that they are closed transfers the heat to the head and keeps you from burning a valve. So again, shim them

shim them. The reason why the exhaust valves have a higher clearance then the exhaust is because they need to seat fully to cool off. The fraction of a second that they are closed transfers the heat to the head and keeps you from burning a valve. So again, shim them

:ride::thumbsup::applause: what he said.

Where in CO are you. If you need help I'm in Frederick it thats any where close to you I'll com by and give a hand if you want.

Looks like I'll be shimming!

Hit the Set - thanks for the offer, I'm in Loveland. I've got the sticky that shows how to do it and it doesn't look very difficult, especially since I'll only be doing the exhaust side. The most critical part seems to be getting the cam bracket bolts torqued correctly. Do you clean and lock-tite them .. or leave them dry? My guess is dry ...

Actually for the exhaust you don't have to remove the cam. All you have to do is open up the access on the right side of the bike and remove the pin that the exhaust rocker arm rotates on and then remove the rocker arm. Then you can just grab out the shim with a magnet.

This is from the sticky

To get to the exhaust valve shims remove the small cover on the right side of the head. If all you need to adjust is the exhaust valves your in luck, you dont need to remove the cam or cam caps, you will need to remove the cam cap bolts but thats way easy...

Adjustment%20021.jpg

Using a small screwdriver push the rocker shaft out the hole in the side of the head you just removed the cap from.

Adjustment%20024.jpg

The rocker will now just lift out.

Adjustment%20025.jpg

The shims are directly under the rocker, there are no buckets over the exhaust valve shims. Remove the shims with a magnet and replace them with your new ones.

Adjustment%20026.jpg