Sign in to follow this  

Quik Valve Adjustment

I have a little question. I have an 04 CRF450 and im the third owner and im sure the valves have never been checked and I havent done it since I got it (I know im a horrible 4 stroke owner) Well anyways I went to do it yesterday and when I was done I found that they were all in spec except for 1 and it was off by almost nothing. My question is why? Its not like im babying this bike it gets reved to the moon yet all the valves are still good how come I thought it was important to adjust all the time? :thumbsup:

I have an 04 CRF450 and the valves have never been checked and I havent done it since I got it.

Well anyways I went to do it yesterday and when I was done I found that they were all in spec except for 1 and it was off by almost nothing.

My question is why? Its not like im babying this bike it gets reved to the moon yet all the valves are still good how come I thought it was important to adjust all the time? :thumbsup:

Becuase they aren't as fragile as people say they are.

People come to the board to complain about things that they are having trouble with, not to say how great something is...so when you read about valves, it's about valve trouble. The result is we all get to thinking we have huge problems, which we don't. I bought the story too...but my actual experience doesn't match the negative press..

Sounds like you just have a good bike, shim it, continue riding. They will also tell you that once they go out of spec, you've only got hours left. I personally don't belelive it...time will tell.

Same for me... all this bad valve talk had me wondering if i had made the wrong choice on my bike. Ive how had my 05 for a year and 6 months with more than 100 hours on it. Its still got the stock shims in it and all inspec. Its been a great bike to me!!!!

Yeah I was always under the impression that valves were a ticking time bomb just waiting to ruin your day but mine have been holding up just fine. I will still check from time to time but not as much and they say you should doesn't seem necessary

Yeah I was always under the impression that valves were a ticking time bomb just waiting to ruin your day but mine have been holding up just fine. I will still check from time to time but not as much and they say you should doesn't seem necessary

Periodically checking valve lash is important but more important than this is making sure you never suck any dirt in through the carb. Keep your filter clean and properly seated in the air box. I'd be willing to bet that the engines with valve troubles are the ones that have ingested some dirt. Don't forget the dirt bikers axium:Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Amen.

My '04 is at 100 hours and I've never needed to touch the valves. I clean my filter when it gets really dirty.

Its just like the old saying about bad worth of mouth advertising.

Piss off one guy he'll tell one hundred people, a happy customer might tell one person.

I havnet posted anything on the subject as I have not seen any problems with my bike or the other three guys I ride with

Perfect example right here. My bike was running awesome for 35 hrs. no problems at all and valve clearance inspected every 10 hrs. and cleaned air filter after every ride. BUT THEN, when I was installing my air filter, somehow I put a hole in it and then ingested all kinds of dirt and botta boom botta bing, VALVE ISSUES. My intake valves tightened up right away to .000 clearance and the exhaust valves were still within spec.

I wonder what the deal is w/the left intake always going to .000 first?? Anybody have a good explanation?