Sign in to follow this  

%@#$*^@ing chain

so i just finished my very first tire change: gee, that was fun.

it all went ok in the end, but while removing the wheel we first tried removing the chain. foiund the master link and pulled the little clipy thing off, but then we tried getting the master link out and it wouldn't budge. is there any trick to getting it off? the manual was very helpful- it says remove link. except link won't move. is pb blaster bad for the chain? any better ideas? :thumbsup:

The o-ring chain that came with my second-hand bike had that issue. In the end I just attacked it with a dremel, since I was ditching the chain anyway. This won't help you though.

My new chain is a pleasure to take off, the master link just slides out of the holes.

I believe there are chain breaker tools that might help take the master link apart.

d.

Were you going to replace the chain? Or just remove it in order to get the wheel/tire off? If that is the case, there is no need to remove the master link or break the chain in order to get it free for removal of the wheel/tire.

any better ideas? :thumbsup:

the chain doesn't need to come off right now. my friend had suggested taking off the chain before washing the bike (not that i have any plans to do that any time soon). i figured it would be nice to know that i could take the chain off if i needed to without having to destroy it.

i guess a chain breaker is going on the shopping list....

so i just finished my very first tire change: gee, that was fun.

it all went ok in the end, but while removing the wheel we first tried removing the chain. foiund the master link and pulled the little clipy thing off, but then we tried getting the master link out and it wouldn't budge. is there any trick to getting it off? the manual was very helpful- it says remove link. except link won't move. is pb blaster bad for the chain? any better ideas? :thumbsup:

The master link plate is pressed on; it is easy to get off if you know how.

Get a mid-sized flat-blade screwdriver and prise the link plate off using it. The secret is to gently place the blade under the plate (so as not to damage the O-ring) and use the adjacent link as a lever point. You will need quite a lot of force to break the seal and when the link lifts off you should do the other side (alternate each side so that the link plate comes off of each post evenly. Again be very careful not to stuff up the o-rings with the screwdriver blade.

Getting it on again is a bit tougher because you really need to compress it a lot before you can lock it with the clip. I use a G-clamp and a nut. The nut is so that the G-clamp does not press on the post (the round thingy that the sprocket tooth makes contact with), but instead acts on the plate (the post sticks up into the hole in the nut). The threaded arm of the G-clamp presses on the back of the link. I compress each side a little at a time until the assembly is fully compressed and then install the locking clip (make sure you fit it so that the CLOSED end is travelling infront of the open end when the bike is going forward).

Reading this back I am inclined to think that most people will say "huh - what is that idiot on about". Feel free to ask for specific clarifications. I promise you this is the easiest thing to do (I change my chain two times a week when switching from road to dirt tyres).

Are you kidding me? Take off the chain to wash the bike? :applause: Give us a break. And you say you don't have plans to wash the bike any time soon? :thumbsup: Am I the only person that washes the bike after every ride, before putting it away?

The chain comes apart like Meatbomb said. Don't take a chain breaker to it. :ride:

I'll say one thing for you, at least you came "here" to ask. And ask first, should you be having problems with anything you're unsure of.

the chain doesn't need to come off right now. my friend had suggested taking off the chain before washing the bike (not that i have any plans to do that any time soon). i figured it would be nice to know that i could take the chain off if i needed to without having to destroy it.

i guess a chain breaker is going on the shopping list....

And you say you don't have plans to wash the bike any time soon? :ride: Am I the only person that washes the bike after every ride, before putting it away?

No, trailryder, you aren't the only person, but I'm afraid people like us are a dying breed. :applause::thumbsup:

:applause:

I too wash the bike after every significant ride or riding weekend.

I pry off the plate of the master link with a screwdriver careful as not to doink the o-rings. It is not easy and not something I would want to do on the trail but really I can't imagine why you would need to since the wheel comes off by just slacking the chain.

Pressing the masterlink back together is harder. I choose to use a c-clamp and a socket. Funny how our methods are so similar yet not the official method.

I know the C-clamp method works. But I've never once regretted spending the (not so insignificant sum of) money on this MotionPro chain tool. It just makes everything about working with chains soooo easy. And it's indespensible if you're installing a clip-less chain.

motion_chainrivetingtool.jpg

I have the Motion Pro also and dont regret the purchase either. I used to struggle with the old makeshift methods and this tool puts an end to all of that. I only remove the chain when replacing it though.

The only issue I've had with owning that tool is now I'm the official chain installer for all my friends....