Sign in to follow this  

Anyone ever hear about or exsperienced engine failier do to scott stainless steel....

oil filter or as far as everyone know that they have a clean history because I plan on buying one im sick of spending 10 bucks for every few oil changes

Never heard of any problems. Plenty of people will tell you that the Scotts filter is infact better than the genuine replacable part.

I havent heard anything bad about them either just seeing if anyone else has

I've heard nothing bad and mine seems to be doing well. I change oil and clean the filter every ride day or weekend. The filter looks pretty clean and then cleans up real well with mineral spirits.

Anything bad you might hear is probably due to poor maintenance, i.e. excessive OCI's or failure to properly clean the filter.

They were created for cheapskates. My last bike was 7 grand. I change the oil and throw in a new clean OEM filter. There is no way you can clean a filter completely.

A CRF250 has a lifespan that you can measure with a stopwatch, I would make sure that every thing was the best quality.

They were created for cheapskates. My last bike was 7 grand. I change the oil and throw in a new clean OEM filter. There is no way you can clean a filter completely.

A CRF250 has a lifespan that you can measure with a stopwatch, I would make sure that every thing was the best quality.

That's your opinion... I have been using scott's in my 450 for over a year now. It comes clean as a wissle. I use solvent too start, then rinse down with water, then I clean out with break parts cleaner everthing comes out . I have not had any problems out of it or the bike. Also you say you spend 7 grand on your bike and call scott's a cheapskates item. I bet you don't do rebuilds like your susposed too every 15 hours either do you.. :thumbsup:

That's your opinion... I have been using scott's in my 450 for over a year now. It comes clean as a wissle. I use solvent too start, then rinse down with water, then I clean out with break parts cleaner everthing comes out . I have not had any problems out of it or the bike. Also you say you spend 7 grand on your bike and call scott's a cheapskates item. I bet you don't do rebuilds like your susposed too every 15 hours either do you.. :thumbsup:

do you understand you can't see the stuff that is of concern that stays in the filter ? I would say chaces are exelent that you are far from getting everything out of your filter and may even be washing crap into the clean side. I say screw that I get hiflo synth filters for about $4 ea. way easier and cleaner to just throw one in. I also have had several roadracer friends of mine loose several motors while using them,by no means is that scientific but when combined with the hassle screw it I run hiflo

Bryce

SS filters are used in aircraft jet engines not because they're particularly better but because they're the only material that can handle the extreme high temps involved. A lot of research has been done as to the re usability of SS filters (they're even more ridiculously expensive for aircraft applications) and the consensus is that the only way you can reliably clean them is with an ultrasonic cleaner. The old soak and blow method just makes em look clean on the surface. At least that's what the lab says so we throw ours out just like any other filter rather than worrying about answering embarrassing questions from the FAA. But hey, if spending $100 on "the last filter you'll ever buy" gives you wood who am I to question? Especially if your bike hasen't failed... Yet.... :thumbsup:

Im sure OEM filters are slightly better to run than the Scotts stainless steel, but that slightly better only means the few specs that aren't inside it that could be in a stainless filter. I purchased my Stainless filter for 40 USD, and have used it a number of times and have had no problems. I just really use alot of solvent and make sure I get it as clean as possible, but you still dont know what is on the inside. I take the chance, just make sure you dont put the filter in backwards or your engine will seize.

Scotts stainless filters actually filter particles smaller than an oem filter would do. From everything ive read, they filter better than oem filters, now about cleaning them, im not sure, but i trust scotts products, they havent failed me so far! :ride::thumbsup:

As a previous poster has stated it's very difficult to get particles out of a filter once they are in. I like the stock filters because I can see what they have caught and I also use magnetic drain plugs. If I see alot of metal on either one I know there is a problem.

Lots of people use SS filters with no problems. Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And since I can change my own suspension oil my bikes always have fresh oil in them. I'm married so I like being in the garage. It's peaceful in there.

If microscopic stuff on a filter takes out your engine, then CRFs are more fragile than I thought.....Buy an XR, it will outlive you and your kids. What good is a high performance motor if you are constantly rebuilding it?

do you understand you can't see the stuff that is of concern that stays in the filter ? I would say chaces are exelent that you are far from getting everything out of your filter and may even be washing crap into the clean side. I say screw that I get hiflo synth filters for about $4 ea. way easier and cleaner to just throw one in. I also have had several roadracer friends of mine loose several motors while using them,by no means is that scientific but when combined with the hassle screw it I run hiflo

Bryce

Well let's just say this do you have 100 + hours on a bottom end ? I do.. I must be doing something right...

The Scotts will filter down to 35 microns, a paper filter will filter down to ~25 microns but not consistently. On startup a SS filter will flow oil where a paper filter bypass may pass unfiltered oil. So on startup I my oil is being filtered... I like the Scotts, I've used them in 2 bikes but that's just my $.02 worth.

I suppose you use new clean OEM air filters, too. There is no way you can clean it completely, and that's going directly into the cylinder. :thumbsup:

If you're changing your oil every 5 to 10 hours, there won't be much in the filter anyway. As mentioned, the scotts consistently filters and flows better than OEM. Any particles that may remain in the filter after cleaning and possibly pass through will be smaller than the largest particles an OEM filter may pass brand new. Besides, do you always flush ALL the old oil out? Do you change filters with every oil change? If not, you'll be mixing contaminated oil with fresh. That's about the same as re-using a filter that's only 99% clean.

The point is, fresh oil does a good job of suspending any particles that might pass by either filter. I'd rather use a 99% filter and fresh oil more frequently than letting a paper filter go 2 or 3 oil changes or doing 20 hour OCI's.

If your bike still can't handle it, maybe you need a Yamaha :ride:

I suppose you use new clean OEM air filters, too. There is no way you can clean it completely, and that's going directly into the cylinder. :thumbsup:

If you're changing your oil every 5 to 10 hours, there won't be much in the filter anyway. As mentioned, the scotts consistently filters and flows better than OEM. Any particles that may remain in the filter after cleaning and possibly pass through will be smaller than the largest particles an OEM filter may pass brand new. Besides, do you always flush ALL the old oil out? Do you change filters with every oil change? If not, you'll be mixing contaminated oil with fresh. That's about the same as re-using a filter that's only 99% clean.

The point is, fresh oil does a good job of suspending any particles that might pass by either filter. I'd rather use a 99% filter and fresh oil more frequently than letting a paper filter go 2 or 3 oil changes or doing 20 hour OCI's.

If your bike still can't handle it, maybe you need a Yamaha :ride:

haha very well put but Im sure my honda can handle suggestions and information are very appreciated I agree with everything you said

Pro Mxers do throw out their airfilters but I'm too cheap to do it. But I can wring them out to get them really clean. You can't do that with an SS oil filter.

I do own a few Yamahas. I owned an 03 WR450 and didn't worry to much about the oil filter. The woodruff key was what I worried about.

Never forget your cell phone when you ride that key spitter.

Thats a wise choice Baja.

2 strokes need good oil filters.