Sign in to follow this  

Arm pump

hey guys first post ,tell me how to get rid of arm pump or at least make it better,my last race i attended of the pnwma offroad series i couldnt feel my heartbeat in my arms for the first 45 min the worst i have ever had it x10

And no my arms arent fible ,ive never had it that bad

was thinking of getting different bars,or rubber mount,or maybe even those funney lookin flex bars

what you guy's do? :thumbsup:

RC, James, Chad are all sweating when they get to the line for a Moto.

They have already gotten their heart-rate up and the blood vessels are opened up ready to pump lots of blood.

If you come to the line with a resting heart rate you will have some problems and one of them could be armpump.

If you are serious about performing at your best: warm up the body. :thumbsup:

Hold on more with your knees and not so much with your hands. You arms and hands are for steering and controls. Concentrate on relaxing your grip. Think of it as how you would hold you girlfriends hands while dancing.

You really can't get rid of arm pump. But you can lower the magnitude of it. The best thing for doing this is modifying the suspension. Also you can work out your forearms by holding weights in front of you.

You really can't get rid of arm pump. But you can lower the magnitude of it. The best thing for doing this is modifying the suspension. Also you can work out your forearms by holding weights in front of you.

I disagree. All that he really needs to do is quit trying to muscle the bike around and do a few pushups before he rides. Suspension work would decrease shock fatigue, but arm pump usually comes from riding the bike with your arms. Dirt biking is physically demanding, and your arms should not be taking all of that.

Ride with your whole body. Keep your grip gentle but firm. Position yourself so that if your throttle stuck wide open, you could take your hands off the bars and still stay on the bike. I am by no means very strong, but I can ride for hours without getting too tired. Although, I do have a nice light and nimble bike, and I always carry plenty of water or gatorade.

you guys and armpump kill me..like mathprof said, thats a really good way to help. but just get your cardio under control. its simple as pie. your body isnt pumping eficciently, i like to ride an exercise bike while curling dumbells to get bloodflow in the air

One of the problems with this forum is that you don't know who is giving advice.

They could be 16 year old with 3 years of riding experience or they could be 47 years old with 37 years of riding experience and a couple state championships.

I have a state championship in the pro class in observed trials(1997), one in Senior A hare scrambles(2005) , and if I'm lucky, I'll get another in Enduros in Senior A.

I'm not bragging, I'm just letting you know where the advice is coming from.

And I'll throw one more variable into the ring...does the poster know if it's really arm pump your dealing with, or the results of vibration transmitting through the bars?

One of the guys over in the Honda forum suggested that I put expanding foam inside my bars before installing the bark busters and grips. (I was asking if any of them had any experience with Bar Snake) That idea had never crossed my mind, but I figured if it didn't work, it wouldn't be all that impossible to get it out after it cured. So I tried it before a long distance woods weekend. The shit actually worked.

I had a roll of vinyl tubing that was just large enough to fit over the straw that came with the can of foam. I cut a section long enough to reach the clutch side of the bar from the throttle side, installed the clutch side grip, ran the tube into and through the bars, and started triggering as I slowly pulled the tube out of the bars. It did expand to the point that a good bit got on the garage floor, but I let it cure, then just peeled it off the concrete. I then cut my hole in the end of the clutch side grip, for the bark buster bolt insertion the next day. I let that sit overnight, it cured from both ends, and was well worth the five bucks spent. Got rid of nearly all the vibration transferring through the bars.

No, this is not some 'magic pill' that replaces the need for being in good physical condition. But it did what the man said it would do, and that's more than can be said for some of the stuff that gets posted on here.

find a place to hang from w' your hand holding all of your body weight, do this for as long as you can hold on, do it everyday once or twice per day, it really works i rarely get arm pump anymore!!

I succumb to arm pump but have lowered the rate I get it by using hand exercisers. Basically spring loaded plier grips , but there are many types available including the gripmaster etc. Even squeezing a squash ball works well. I use my hand exercisers while I am driving to work for about 10-20mins each way. They work for me and its a cheap and easy way to eliminate the problem. Arm curls will build the strenght in your forearms if you think you need it. But your fitness and technique are definately factors to enduring hard or long rides. The trick I found, is to enjoy the workout you are doing. Go surfing or do weights watching the Simpsons. I have added an ebay link to show you the type of hand grips I use. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-HAND-GRIP-GRIPS-EXERCISER-STRENGTH-TRAINER-MUSCLE_W0QQitemZ110022542917QQihZ001QQcategoryZ28067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Zak-OZ

And I'll throw one more variable into the ring...does the poster know if it's really arm pump your dealing with, or the results of vibration transmitting through the bars?

One of the guys over in the Honda forum suggested that I put expanding foam inside my bars before installing the bark busters and grips. (I was asking if any of them had any experience with Bar Snake) That idea had never crossed my mind, but I figured if it didn't work, it wouldn't be all that impossible to get it out after it cured. So I tried it before a long distance woods weekend. The shit actually worked.

I had a roll of vinyl tubing that was just large enough to fit over the straw that came with the can of foam. I cut a section long enough to reach the clutch side of the bar from the throttle side, installed the clutch side grip, ran the tube into and through the bars, and started triggering as I slowly pulled the tube out of the bars. It did expand to the point that a good bit got on the garage floor, but I let it cure, then just peeled it off the concrete. I then cut my hole in the end of the clutch side grip, for the bark buster bolt insertion the next day. I let that sit overnight, it cured from both ends, and was well worth the five bucks spent. Got rid of nearly all the vibration transferring through the bars.

No, this is not some 'magic pill' that replaces the need for being in good physical condition. But it did what the man said it would do, and that's more than can be said for some of the stuff that gets posted on here.

Great idea, I think I might just do it. My little 125 does have some vibration thru the bars. The 510 4T doesn't. You could most likely do about 10 bikes with one can. I might just line up all five bikes of ours and go for it.

Good tip.

Just tryin' to pay it forward, my fellow dirt brother from another mother!

... arm pump usually comes from riding the bike with your arms....

Ride with your whole body. Keep your grip gentle but firm...

Excellent advice! :thumbsup:

Riding trails and hills (not racing)--when I tense up on the bars, my hands often go numb within a few minutes. So I remind myself to relax, ride with my whole body, and keep my grip gentle but firm. Within a few minutes my hands return to normal.

Keith Code, A Twist of the Wrist II, p. 34, says that arm pump and tired hands are the two main indicators that you are holding the bars too tight. :ride:

wow never thought of spray foam in the bars.

just so you guys know iam 23 years old and have been riding for about 13 years.I race the pnwma cross country .Iam a mechanic by trade pull wrenchs all day,arms are not exactly weak.I think i must have been getting vibrations through the bars.02 YZ 250 with renthall bars.

Sold the bike last week and just picked up a new 06 450R honda...........today, havent even rode it yet ,so ill ride it and see how it is

already started my search for parts and the ones worthwhile getting ,but thats for another post. thx guys :thumbsup:

Sold the bike last week and just picked up a new 06 450R honda...........today, havent even rode it yet ,so ill ride it and see how it is

already started my search for parts and the ones worthwhile getting ,but thats for another post. thx guys :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new ride, you're gonna love it...

I went to the desert with a bunch of friends one week last season and rode 5 different bikes and 2 quads, some of them at least 2-3 times :applause::

2003 CR250

2004 CRF250X

2002 E440

1993 DR350

2001 MXC520

2005 660R

2004 LTZ400

the ONLY bike that I got armpump on (and badly) was the CR250 . I felt the same before riding that bike as I did before I rode the other bikes too. I rode this bike midweek and at the end of the week. Coincidentally, one of my other friends that tried out the bike too said it felt really unfriendly and out of rider spec / alignment or something. I don't remember him saying that he got armpump, but I do know he didn't like riding it either. He owns the MXC520. I just figured it was the bike :ride: , at least in that situation :thumbsup: .

In true TT tradition I should suggest that the solution would be to buy new arms.

However i think I may have accidently stumbled upon a solution to arm pump:

After a few painful spills I treated myself to some elbow guards. Being a cheapskate I went for a budget pair that were a bit tight around my forearms (they have like an elasticated tube that the forearm goes into). Before that i used to get forearm pump on technical section of trails and when riding on the MX track. Since using those elbow guards no arm pump (and I rode the track last weekend).

I figure it must work on the same principle as those elasticated socks that some people wear on long flights to prevent fluid pooling in the lower extremities (and causing a danger of DVT). The G-suits pilot use also constrict limbs to prevent blood pooling. maybe try doing a ride with an elasticated bandage on your forearms (not too tight or you will get gangrene LOL). anyhows, it seems to have worked for me.

Meatbomb..........

G-suits are used to shove blood from your legs to your brain.... as in less blood down there.... i can't imagine the same principal helping for arm pump... u want to keep blood moveing i thought.... work on ur lower arms via ur favorite method... many can be found around TT