Sign in to follow this  

How BAD is BAD handling on the 06 YZ250F.....to bad to buy?

Im looking into getting an 06 YZ250F. I cant get radiator lowering kit because of the exhaust that the bike comes with. Ive heard that the bike can corner excellent with proper set up. My question is, is the cornering curable? Transworld said that with offset clamps and radiator lowering kit they were liking the turning more than the honda. Still, this is a very hard choice. Ive spent alot of time on using the search button about the clamps and lowering kits. Most people only notice a difference when they combine the 2.

My ultimate question, can an 06 YZ250F corner well enough to make justice for Yamahas history of excellent cornering bikes?

I can't tell the difference in the cornering department on any bike. I don't understand how people say those handle bad. I've only ridden my buddies 05' YZ250F but the thing was great at everything if you ask me. If it makes that much of a difference to you, I would just buy the Honda, because unless you are a die hard Yami fan, face it it's gonna take extra time and money to get the Yami to own up to your standards.

Post your decision.

Id rathar deal with a Yamaha that might not handle the best than to deal with the valvetrain problems the CRFs are known for.

Unless you are an A level racer or better, any bone stock new bike will be adequate to win a MX race. I would bet that 95% of all people that ride bikes fall into this category.

If you want to deal with adjusting valves all the time buy the Honda. I have owned both Honda and Yamaha race bikes and I don't have to work on anything critical on the YZF like I did on the CRF.

i think the CRF is better in 06. doesnt have all these problems you speak of, no more than any other brand except for yami, unless u count all the bikes that blew up before their recall.

I thought the lowering kit was only for 05 and older. the 06 radiators are lower. just need some clamps.

Unless you are an A level racer or better, any bone stock new bike will be adequate to win a MX race. I would bet that 95% of all people that ride bikes fall into this category.

:thumbsup::ride::applause: - but your % might be low.

cr85racer12 - how do you know about the handling? How was the bike set up that you rode?

i have the 05 yami and i like it, no major problems at all and i race it every weekend. But i also am considering the Honda versus Yamaha for 07 one of the things i dislike about the Honda is that stupid dual exhaust! but i am curious how good there suspension is, let me know if you find out anything interesting

Get the 07. Yamaha did a recall on all 06 yzf250's for broken valves. No, sorry i don't have the web site but i read it this weekend.

The recall is old news. Bad valves with a fix. The 06 Yami suspension is pretty amazing. It just didnt quite handle the way I liked it to. What are they doing for 07?

Get the 07. Yamaha did a recall on all 06 yzf250's for broken valves. No, sorry i don't have the web site but i read it this weekend.

Dude get your info right. Only the early 06 YZ250F valves where recalled. Plus at least Yamaha did something about it unlike Honda.

My CRF hasn't had any valve problems, maybe you Yamaha guys should buy a 2006 CRF before you speak bad about them.

My CRF hasn't had any valve problems, maybe you Yamaha guys should buy a 2006 CRF before you speak bad about them.

Nice dual exhaust system you have there in your avatar, that's pretty "cheezy"! :thumbsup:

I am buying my 2nd 06 YZ250F................I like it that much. My son rides one and I will ride the other. The bike handles fine after some basic suspension adjustments that everyone should do ike suspension sag, fork height and clicker adjustments. Also change the front tire to suit your terrain and your set. trust me on this! :thumbsup:

I don't believe that there's anything that would make the 2007 significantly better than the 2006. The only difference would be that you'll spend more money and you have the option to buy white, which you can add to a 2006 as well.

Your cornering question. I noticed the front end did tend to push in corners, but nothing that could not be resolved. As far as the bike overall is concerned, it's rock-solid. Yamaha has stood by their bikes and with the valve recall for the 2006's shows that they support their product 110%.