Sign in to follow this  

silencer

hey guys and gals....I have a problem. A couple months ago...I attempted to repack my silencer...and now it is all blown out, bike sounds and runs like crap. I have repacked silencers a few times before...and know how to do it just fine, but when I took my rm250's stock silencer apart, I noticed something strange. Usually there is the core shaft thing that you pull out of the outer cylinder, wrap the packing around the inner core, and slide it all back in the cylinder. WELL...when I took the silencer apart, the core shaft was still up in the cylinder. there was no wrapping it around and stuffing it back in. anyways...here's my best way to show you without pics....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/KDXpert/silencer.jpg

I did the best I could to refill it with packing...but it has blown out again, and my bike sounds like a mid 80's two stroke with no silencer :ride: Is this the way yall's silencers are? Im sure...looked like it came like that from the factory...but is there anyway to repack it? Or should I go ahead and invest $150 I dont need to spend on a new spark arrestor I want? :thumbsup: Thanks!

Can you pull the core out with pliers? I've never seen it stuck in the silencer like that. I usually pull the core out (attached to the piece that connects to the pipe) and wrap it with packing that comes in sheets.

yeah me too...Ive never seen a silencer like this. So your Rm's silencer is like that? What bike do you have?

Mines a 2006 RM250. I've only had it a few months. I've been bikeless for 10 years. So I went and looked it up in my manual. Same as yours. That sucks.

I went to motogrid.com to look up OEM parts and the prebuilt packing for your 04 is over $40. Ouch!

I wonder if you could take an empty paper towel roll (the middle card board cylinder) and wrap it up real good with packing. Then slide that into the silencer. Then pull out the cardboard. Just an idea off the top of my head.

well that sucks. If the internet has it for $40, my shop will sell it to me for $80!!! :ride: So I will just have to get a FMF or something.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. :thumbsup:

but yeah the paper towell roll idea sounds good to me

I have a stock silencer that was used about 3 hours. I keep it as a spare, but for $60.00 you can have it--that includes shipping. It's pretty much new. Let me know if you want it.