Sign in to follow this  

what shim size will i need

Well i checked my valves for the first time today on the bike(around 25 hours) and well all the valves were good except the left intake, the left was too tight at .76mm

My question is what shim siize will i need to get it back into spec

and also could you plese tell me how to figure the shim sizes i need out on my own

*Clean the shim to remove any dust or oil.

*Measure the thickness of the removed shim [A].

*Select a new shim thickness calculation as follows.

A=(B-C)+D

[A] Replace shim thickness

Measured valve clerance

[C] Specified valve clerance

[D] Present shim thickness

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Well i checked my valves for the first time today on the bike(around 25 hours) and well all the valves were good except the left intake, the left was too tight at .76mm

My question is what shim siize will i need to get it back into spec

and also could you plese tell me how to figure the shim sizes i need out on my own

get the whole hot cams shim kit for your bike , you do not want to be running around town to get one shim ,--only to find out its still not what you need !!!

---.76MM ????? thats almost .030 in. I really dont think you want to increase the lash any more

you must have mis-stated--- it should be in the .10--.18mil area

shim sizes are simply a measurement of the thickness---( 250 shim is 2.50MM )

just find the difference between what your measured lash is and what your'e shooting for then add or subtract from the shim thats in it

Each shim size changes the clearance by .025mm. If your left intake is .076mm you would want to go down 2 shim sizes which would change the clearance to .126. There is a chart in the service manual on page 2-22 that shows all the different shims and the markings on them.