Arm Pump...

Usually my first two 15 min sessions of the day I get it, then I'm fine for the rest of the day. It's just that in the morning I'm a little tense and the muscles aren't stretched out good yet.

I admit i'm the same as the above partly because i dont strech as much as i should. If your doing 1 hour and not getting anything means you are not riding hard enough, the terain is flat, your superman.

• 2 weeks later...

I get arm pump on the first laps, but nothing serious..I usually just cruise around for a couple laps to get warm and comfy...then I'm warmed up, can stretch better and with a nice knee-grippin' on the bike I can go for several laps at a time without loosing feeling of my hands haha ?

eldus

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you remember to breathe when riding.. It sounds stupid, but I caught myself not breathing deeply enough and that alone caused my arms

to hurt and my stamina also suffered.

When I think to breathe right, I can ride longer and harder with out hurting!

Forearm pump or not comes from the degree of rding shape you are in, how you hold on, squeeze too tight with a death grip too often and off course your arms will ache. Also, the heavier you are the more muscle you must use to hang on versus a lighter rider and this is a factor as well. I remember from my racing days a competitor of mine , whenever he went to a sand track due to the fact these tracks get very rough would always have forearm pump problems and I never did due to the fact I always made certain to practice like the conditions in which I raced. If you get stronger this will definitely help as you will use less of your muscle effort for a certain degree of submaximal effort.

i live on a farm so i work alot. i guess it kinda helps because i really dont get too much arm pump. and i hear working out/ working and gaining muscle helps. maybe its my posture idk, too bad i have a broken shoulder now....

You work on the farm shoveling grain? I also live on a farm and that shure whips a guy in to shape fast.

one thing i usually concentrate on is loosening my grip on the bars in the air so the muscles relax a bit. another thing i do a lot of is using my legs and pinching the bike a lot (just ask my airbox decals) that makes it so you arent as reliant on your upper body to keep the bike controlled. I came from a bmx racing background, so my legs are much stronger than my arms.

What the hell is arm pump? You'll have to excuse my ignorance...I'm just a noob and don't know all the terminology ?

its when your forearms get pumped to the point where u can't or almost can't use them. u will know once you ride a track if u get it or not. some people dont. i get it in 5 min on a track if I'm going 100% but if i go like 85-90% then I can last a while. In the desert I don't know if I would ever get arm pump. I just rode for 2 hours straight in the desert and nothing. Destrys track is real hard though. I bet if I did that for a full lap I would get it.

Yeah, I guess I never got that! I have never ridden track though. I only have about 20 hours of riding under my belt but my last ride was about 4 straight hours of trails. My arms were tired but not to the point where I couldn't (or almost couldn't) use them. I do a lot of stretching before my rides. That helps!