if your gonna be close

regular walky talkies work

they usually come with a mic and ear peice

this is a cheep inexpensive way

my and my 14 year old daughter use them when riding in woods

only draw back is to talk you have to hit hold a button by the mic

witch will mess things up when your on the track

another option is just to get chatter boxes

they have them on street helmets all the time and some of my buddies use them in the woods

my walkie talkies work with there chatter boxes

im sure there are some hands free mic / ear pieces you can get for the walky talkies and they are light enought to fit in your hydration back pack or in any back pack rather!!!!

I know that there are alot of options out there, but we use these

http://www.collettcommunicators.com/

Snowmoblies in the winter, and dirt bikes in the summer, great range and good battery life. You dad can use the headset, and talk to you thru your helmet mounted unit.

I know when I go out riding with my son, I feel alot safer being able to talk to him. I ride in front and warn him of oncoming traffic, or any suprises in the trail.

Its one of those things, that once you have one, you won't ever want to be without it.

As far as the link above to the Chatterboxes, I would avoid that brand. Have some experience there, and was less than impressed.

if your gonna be close

regular walky talkies work

they usually come with a mic and ear peice

this is a cheep inexpensive way

my and my 14 year old daughter use them when riding in woods

only draw back is to talk you have to hit hold a button by the mic

witch will mess things up when your on the track

another option is just to get chatter boxes

they have them on street helmets all the time and some of my buddies use them in the woods

my walkie talkies work with there chatter boxes

im sure there are some hands free mic / ear pieces you can get for the walky talkies and they are light enought to fit in your hydration back pack or in any back pack rather!!!!

Oh yea, the Collett's are all voice activated, your hands stay on the bars. Once you get the VOX adjusted, its just a matter of talking, to key the mic. My son will actually blow a puff of air to activate the mic, so the first part of what he has to say doesn't get cut off.

I see you are from Ontario, Collett is a Canadian company.

I bought a pair of the Collett's for my son and I. If you are trail riding I think they will work fine for you but if you are racing motocross I think the bike noise will make using the VOX worthless. I have some trouble with mine on trail rides because my big thumper is just too loud. I need to turn the control up too much to cancel out the VOX. Then when I want to talk to my son I need to reach back up to my helmet and adjust the VOX so I can talk to him. Kinda a pain but it does work. I have the Motocomm System also. It works with a push button that you can mount to your handle bars and press when you want to talk. We have not had a chance to field test these yet. The Collett radios would be better if my bike was not so loud.

Ive got a 250F, its not as loud as a 450. Im just concerned about falling and crushing the system. If you have a radio attatched to your belt clip and fall on hard clay, it is not going to work as well in pieces as when I spent 200 to buy it.

Ok, thats good news. I guess that Ill just forget about them and talk to my dad after like 10 laps or so.

I think thats good idea. You need to pull off the track to discuss your strong and weak points anyhow. Focusing on a conversation about what you did wrong four corners ago is a good way to get yourself an injury one corner/ jump ahead of you.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

A dry erase board is alot cheaper. A quick little message in a straight away. Or lap times. Or a message saying come off track if you are doing really bad. And then after your moto session talk about it in detail.

But you only need a walkie and headphones. He should only be talking to you. And you make the changes. So you don't need to press a button to talk back. Save that for when you get off the track.

I listen to music when I'm on the practice track so a board is the only way for me.