Sign in to follow this  

top end, weird question...*maybe*?

when i slowly turn the motor to tdc, the lines on the camshaft are off.... is that normal? as in not even with the head,

i thought tdc was the piston all the way up top and the lines on the cam and below through that hole on the right side was tdc...

fyi... just started top end. ran out of day light i only got the.....top? part off showing the camshaft, valves, etc

if you had your cam off, then you put it on wrong. put the engine on tdc and take off you cam. line up the marks on the cam to the head then tighten everything down

How are you determining TDC?

These bikes are very touchy about TDC, .020 of the piston rocking will throw off the cam timing.

Locate the timing mark thru the RT side inspection hole and also the left side stator inspection plug. Both these lined up will give you a very good TDC.

yea i noticed that with my bike. if you have the right side marks off just the littlest bit, it is a pain trying to line of the cam timing marks

Any chance the timing marks being off and the bike still running? Even if it's one tooth off?

oh, it will run...... just not correctly :thumbsup:

when i first opened up the bike tdc with on the right side for crankcase was the arrow pointing directly at the tooth that is above the tdc notch. this notch is between the two teeth,

when it is pointing directly at that tooth above notch then it is perfectly lined up on the camshaft top dead center. does this sound normal?

i was thinking logically the true tdc is that arrow on the right side of engine had to be pointing directly at that notch*which is between these two teeth*. but the cam shaft is then off by a little. so i just assumed the above was ok?

does this sound wrong? if so i guess i have more :thumbsup: to deal with :ride:

Here's what mine looks like with the cam gear marks lined up:

Crank timing gear

I'd sure want the marks to be as exactly lined up as possible... :thumbsup:

thnx for the picture i wish i knew how to post pics on here i have the dig camera and all...eh

yea my notch on the sprocket is inbetween two teeth. i guess i will line it up exactly with the notch-arrow . im thinking that should be like one tooth to right or left on the cam. thnx for the pic