Sign in to follow this  

Caught the orange fever...

Well I picked up my new bike yesterday. It's a 06' KTM 450XC...I took it out to a local spot yesterday and this thing hauls ass!! That said coming off of a 95' XR250. Enough BS, heres some pics!

KTM-1.jpg

KTM2.jpg

IMGP0511.jpg

You will love your new KTM...They are so easy to work...Pulled the engine out of my new 250XC-W in 45 minutes, spent most that time looking for 13mm sockets...

You will soon find out that KTM's are the best to work on! No more shims... The XC is an awsome bike.

Good to hear! Thanks guys! Hopefully I won't have to work on it toooo much :thumbsup:

well I rode it last weekend and it was awesome!!

the only thing is, the gear shifter nearly fell off when the bolt backed itself out :thumbsup: I thought that was pretty wierd, but I guess I gotta start checking everything before I ride...just thought it was unusual for a brand new bike. any thoughts?

also, at the top of a long uphill loose stretch where I was mostly in 1st gear revvin it a little, it got pretty warm and the radiator was steaming. anything I can do about this or is this something that is going to be happening all the time? thx

Locktite everything! That will stop bolts falling off.

Keep moving forward is about the best advice to stop your KTM boiling.

There is not much margin for error and the radiators need air running overthem if you are revving it.

Sweet looking bike though, we don't get the XC in OZ. I guess that was a spark arrestor you installed and not something to make it louder.

also, at the top of a long uphill loose stretch where I was mostly in 1st gear revvin it a little, it got pretty warm and the radiator was steaming. anything I can do about this or is this something that is going to be happening all the time? thx

You really need to check your jetting. They come pretty lean from the factory which will contribute to overheating. You might want to try the JD jetting kit if your not experienced with jetting.

Thanks for the tips guys...I'm used to my old air-cooled XR that didnt mind putting around:)...I will look into that jetting kit, as I dont really know anything about jetting. Hopefully that will help. I have also seen that there may be a fan available for this bike. Anybody know anything about this? I'll try doing a search on these things.

Buggerburg-yes that is a spark arrestor endcap from promotobillet.com...gotta have it in cali to be legal!

JD makes the jetting very easy. Literally a 10 minute job. He'll send you the kit and tell you exactly what settings to use, and show you exactly how to install them. Don't even have to remove the carb!

If your bike has electric start (ie., a battery), you canalso equip it with a cooling fan that bolts right on and plugs right in and runs off a thermostat. See the KTM Hard Parts catalog on any KTM parts supplier's website. About $90. Finally, KTM and others make a coolant overflow bottle to catch and return whatever boils over.

You're gonna love your bike. Great to ride and easy to work on.

Enjoy.

I just got a 06 450EXC, and did the KTM parts cooling fan. It comes on when I'm poking around in the technical stuff, trying to get up hills, etc. Goes off pretty quick when I'm moving again, which tells me it's doing it's job well. Cheap for a little extra protection.