Sign in to follow this  

DRZ125L/KLX125L occasionally misses at idle

My 2005 KLX125L when fully warmed up will occasionally miss when running at idle. I have done a search on the idle issues with this bike but did not find this exact problem. I do mean occasionally(like once every minute or two). I can get it to miss more often if I rev it a few times and then let it come to an idle and it will soon miss. When I say it misses...I mean it almost dies from no spark but then catches itself on the next stroke...unless you happen to crack the throttle right when it misses then it will die. Otherwise the bike idles fine. Its done it since I bought it used last summer. Any ideas on this?

Got me. We've had our 03 since almost new and it has never had a problem with idle. Can't imagine what is causing your problem either. Wouldn't think it's spark but maybe your not getting enough at idle? Could it be your carb dirty and hiccuping at low idle? The timing is straight forward especially if stock. Maybe if somebody messed with your cam you could be a link off or something.

Good luck.

Dirty carb would be the first place I'd look. Maybe some schmutz for the airbox got by while you were servicing the air filter.

Maybe some moisture in your fuel? But that would affect the bike regradless of whether idling or reving...

hmmmm... not sure, but start with the simple causes.

I doubt it would be the fuel since its done it for the year that I have owned it. The guy before me only owned it for 6 months and I doubt he took anything apart because he didn't seem that technical. If the cam chain was off it would idle irregularly constantly. I just pulled the plug tonight and it looks like its running lean like other people have noted with this bike on TT. It could be a dirty carb for I have not cleaned it since I have owned it. If I get a chance I'll clean it.

The DR-Z/KLX 125 can come from the factory set fairly lean. The first thing that you need to do is to get at the pilot screw so you can adjust it. Suzuki covers the plug with a brass insert to keep people from adjusting it. That is silly, in my opinion, because you can adjust it on almost every other carb in existence. Here is a TT thread on getting at the pilot screw.

After removing the brass cover, you need to adjust the screw to 2.5 turns out (CCW) from all the way in. Believe it or not, mine came set all the way in from the factory and it idled horribly.

The way to see if you have the right setting, is to rev it up and cut the throttle. If it returns to a nice low idle fairly quickly, you have it set right. You should run it at the leanest setting that gives you a quick return to idle. (Lean is turning the screw in, rich is out.) If it is too lean, it will hunt around before returning to idle. If you get more than 3 turns out, you need to increase the pilot jet size. If you are getting better results less than 1 turn out, you need to decrease the pilot jet size.

My guess is that yours is set too lean and you will need to, at a minimum, turn the screw out. You may need to go up one size on the pilot jet.