Sign in to follow this  

Jones Creek, Wa

I have been invited to attend a club ride at Jones Creek in Washington. We are thinking about taking the trailer and making a weekend out of it..... but wanted to make sure there was room and the access road was ok. We have a 26' toy hauler if that helps.

What are the trails like there. Planning on bringing my 9 y/o son and my wife.... both are beginner riders. Are there trails suitable for them?

Any help or suggestions for a good camp spot would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Ace

There is no camping at Jones Creek Trail head

the trails are not to bad for beginers. Just rocky and hard packed.

Where is the closest place to camp......and can we then ride to Jones Creek?

Ace-I started my new job in Portland and am in the process of relocating to Vancouver. Send me a pm of when you're coming down and I can do some recon for ya.

Jones Creek has 3 loops that are "on the map". All of these loops are directional (one way) so the risk of having a head-on is reduced (although some idiots can't read signs). These trails are also ATV trails so they are wide. However, there are lots of "other" trails that the club knows about and also maintain. They are some terrific single-track trails that hopefully you'll get to ride.

racinace,

I met you at last years China Hat ISDE, you were not riding but myself and Scott McFate pitted out of your tent remember me? Anyway I live 25 minutes from there. There is really no camping up in that area but I'm sure if you drive up past Jones you can camp somewhere up there off an old spur road or ???

Jones is kind of a crappy place to ride. 3 one way loops A,B, and C. C is the longest at 13 miles. All loops all loaded with rocks. B is especially bad and would not be fun for beginners on small wheeled bikes. A might be OK. There is also a little loop by the main trail head setup for beginners and is easy. Not sure what your family consists of but I think i remember your boy being pretty darn good and I'm guessing he will be able to do anything up there. I would not really make this place a destination. I use it for suspension tuning as it is rough and close to my house. There is stuff not on the map but it is hard to find and you have to be careful as there is horse and MTB trails your not supposed to be on.

Feel free to PM me if you want me # and I'll talk with you about it.

Kelly

Thanks for the input guys. The ride is scheduled for this weekend but I am not sure this is the place to go considering it is a 5 hour drive for us. Will have to think about this one.

Thanks again for the info.

Ace

And Kelly, I do remember. I was about 85% recovered from a back injury. I rode the poker run with my son and then pitted for you guys on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Ace

Those in the "know" use the posted trails to connect to the good stuff. It's actually great riding once you get away from the trail head and if you know where to go. Lots of rocks with some great single track buried waaaay back in the woods.

Best way to ride it first time is the JCTR poker run, hard course, prox 40 miles, coming up 8/27.

All the hiking, horse, all non-motorized trails are marked so you should not find yourself on one of these by accident. This weekend (Sunday) the club will be running the poker run route to place all the signs and clear whatever brush may be in the way. Because Jones Creek is so close to me I ride there a lot. My 10 year old son rides all the trails I do. There are a few trails (that will be used on the poker run) that are difficult. Rocks,, oh ya. Jones Creek is known for rocks. I will be riding on Saturday as well. There is no camping at Jones Creek yet we are always cleaning up fire pits from keg parties. There are miles and miles of non-published trails and I know most of them. If your coming up for the pre-run you will enjoy a FULL day of riding.

Joe..........